Trusted Contributor

Re: How long would it take you to pack up your home?

@house_cat wrote:

@gizmogal 

When we moved from NY to CA in 2001, my husband's company paid for the move. They sent a crew to pack up the house, but I had packed some personal or delicate things ahead of time. When we unpacked in CA, one of the boxes contained an ashtray from our backyard (DH was a smoker), with the cigarette butts and ashes still in it. 

That move cost his company almost $14,000 and that was 20 years ago.  I can't imagine what it would cost now.

I'd have to offer the idea that most of the $14,000 expense of your move was not the packing, but the moving. Moving is billed by how much weight carried how many miles. And that the truck is devoted to that one job for the amount of time it takes to haul cross country. A NY to CA move is very expensive because of the distance, not because of the packing materials and personnel who do just the packing. 

My comment on packing services being a couple of thousand dollars was in the context of a local move,  say to the next town or just across town. A cross country move is a mileage/weight expense, like all moves, but there are much bigger factors than just packing. There needs to be two drivers hired, and the moving company has to contract for a truck crew at the far end to carry the stuff into the new house.

I don't think my comment was relevant to an enormous move coast to coast unless only the actual packing expense in that long move could be identified and compared to my comment about packing expense.

Super Contributor

just moved from a 5 bed house this weekend and lived there 8 yrs

We had already moved the delicate and personal stuff a few wks ago , but removals 6 men x2 removal vans  took 2 days to pack and move it all 

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal 

Yes, I understood your post completely and I agree that it's money well spent.  I have a much smaller home this time around, having moved once in between and downsizing on this last one.  When we moved from NY, we were moving a 4 bedroom house AND our two cars were in the moving van, as well. This time we'll be driving.

~ house cat ~