Frequent Contributor

Re: How long to you keep up your Christmas decorations? Outside lights?

On 12/28/2014 shesallthat said:
On 12/28/2014 memyselfandI said:
On 12/28/2014 Iwantcoffee said:
On 12/28/2014 memyselfandI said:
On 12/27/2014 squeezebox said:

Christmas Day everything is taken down and put away!

Why in the world do you even put anything up if you take it down on the actual holiday??????

My parents did that when I was growing-up. After we ate lunch and opened gifts, Christmas was over. There was no Christmas season after December 25.

did they ever say why? I find it sad. Besides, the time before is actually advent. The Christmas season is actually the 12 days after Christmas. Why bother doing any decorating if this is your reality?

and that is the bottom line - it is THEIR reality. it does not need to be yours. you don't have to understand it or like it.

I really don't care what people do. However, I am curious, why? Big difference between thinking that everyone has to do it the same and wondering why people feel the way they do. So I stand by my question - why in the world do anything if it comes down to getting up from the Christmas table and getting rid of all evidence that Christmas happened. Why bother d

To put any effort into it?

Esteemed Contributor

Started taking stuff down and putting it away today. All that is left is a couple of small lighted trees and those will be put away tomorrow.
Frequent Contributor

Just finished putting everything away. Although we don't put out much nowadays, the house looks calmer and relaxed being back to "normal" after having decorations up since late September.
Respected Contributor

We are forced to remove outdoor decorations by the weekend following New Year's Day.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Interesting reading about all of the traditions! I guess we each choose how we want to do things, and most of our own traditions probably are what we were used to growing up.

As I said before, ours stay up until after the 6th. BUT growing up we didn't decorate ANYTHING until after Thanksgiving. Mom would let us play Christmas songs on that day and not before. So of course I do the same with my family.

I always have real trees. My grandparents had a Christmas tree farm, so I will always have a real tree. DH was fine with this!

My uncle's tradition was Santa brought the tree Christmas Eve. So he and my aunt would decorate it after the boys were asleep. That must have come from my aunt's side of the family. They left the tree up through mid January.

None of my friends take their trees down right around Christmas Day. A few "undecorate" New Year's Day while watching football, but they still leave the house decorations up for a while. Most people around here leave the outdoor lights on until the second weekend in January. Smile

Contributor

I keep mine up until at least 3 Kings Day.
Super Contributor

Actually, we are still in the Christmas season which is called Christmastide or the Twelve Days of Christmas. It begins on Christmas Day and continues until January 6th or Epiphany. This is a wonderful and spiritual time of year.

It's not what you do on Christmas Day. It's whether or not you carry Christmas in your heart throughout the year.

Respected Contributor

No outside lights but what I do have inside will either be taken down over this coming weekend or, I might decide to put it off for another week because they look so pretty that I'm really enjoying them this year.

Esteemed Contributor

As long as possible, the lights are so peaceful and pretty!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

There are 359 days until Christmas and people already have their lights up! Unbelievable!!