Honored Contributor

Re: How long to you keep up your Christmas decorations? Outside lights?

On 12/26/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

January 6 it all comes down. I find it sad that people throw it all out on Dec 26. The "holidays" are not just Dec. 25th. For me, it's Christmas, then my birthday and then New Year. Besides, I enjoy seeing all the decorations and having the trees all lit up. It all seems so bare and depressing when it's all put away.

I agree with this. For me, it is a season, not just about the day. I like things up right after Thanksgiving, and I want to enjoy them until at least the first week of January.

The decorating I do takes a lot of time and energy, and has cost me a lot of money over the years. For it to be worthwhile, I want to enjoy it for at least 5 or 6 weeks. And it is about enjoying what we do. If someone no longer enjoys it after the actual day, then I guess they should take things down, but it seems rather cold and impersonal to me. To me, it kind of seems like you are saying, the peace, goodwill, and celebration of Christ's birth are done and gone and put on the back shelf for another year. I like to have that front and center in my mind for a much longer time, and my decor does that for me.

Regular Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Dusty1 said:
On 12/26/2014 Laura14 said:

Mine is already packed away for next year.

Me too! I love it until Christmas night & then I am ready to pack it away. They are just decorations.

Same here! I just can't stand to have the decorations up after Christmas. That's not to say I stop celebrating in "holiday" mode. I most into a New Year's mode, for which I like everything clean and fresh and organized (hence the decorations put away). As for Jesus, I celebrate him EVERY day. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 12/26/2014 colliegirls said:
On 12/26/2014 Mtnbikegirl said:

The Saturday after New Year's Day. This year it will be January 3rd.

I am with you, the weekend after New Years. I hate seeing decorations down on the 26 (or worse, on the 25th). Perhaps if some of these people didn't decorate so early they would not be sick of it by Christmas Day.

I could never get sick of Christmas decorations. Mine go up early (before Thanksgiving ) and will sadly come down January 6.

Contributor

We also keep ours on and up until Epiphany too!

Valued Contributor

On 12/26/2014 colliegirls said:
On 12/26/2014 Mtnbikegirl said:

The Saturday after New Year's Day. This year it will be January 3rd.

I am with you, the weekend after New Years. I hate seeing decorations down on the 26 (or worse, on the 25th). Perhaps if some of these people didn't decorate so early they would not be sick of it by Christmas Day.

Oh boy do I ever agree about taking it down the day after (Dec 26th). I have a bunch of women on my block who love to throw that tree out to the "curb" while the kids are practically still unwrapping the gifts!! Outside lights-ALL down...they are so proud of themselves to have thrown everything away. To each his/her own.

I decorate my house inside/out with a lot of lights, but I don't put them up until the middle of Dec, so I am not sick of them on New Year's Eve. I didn't buy my tree until Dec. 13th, so I like looking at it until New Year's Eve. It's losing it's needles like crazy, but so what, I sweep them up every day.

I always wonder about the people who I see driving with the tree on their cars the day after Thanksgiving...they must be a brittle mess by Dec 25th.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer to go back to work, first workday in January, with holiday decorations put away.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 12/26/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/26/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

January 6 it all comes down. I find it sad that people throw it all out on Dec 26. The "holidays" are not just Dec. 25th. For me, it's Christmas, then my birthday and then New Year. Besides, I enjoy seeing all the decorations and having the trees all lit up. It all seems so bare and depressing when it's all put away.

I agree with this. For me, it is a season, not just about the day. I like things up right after Thanksgiving, and I want to enjoy them until at least the first week of January.

The decorating I do takes a lot of time and energy, and has cost me a lot of money over the years. For it to be worthwhile, I want to enjoy it for at least 5 or 6 weeks. And it is about enjoying what we do. If someone no longer enjoys it after the actual day, then I guess they should take things down, but it seems rather cold and impersonal to me. To me, it kind of seems like you are saying, the peace, goodwill, and celebration of Christ's birth are done and gone and put on the back shelf for another year. I like to have that front and center in my mind for a much longer time, and my decor does that for me.

Mominohio~I agree with you here regarding the Christmas decorations.....BTW, how did the trays and bowls of goodies go over with everyone? I thought of you Christmas day when I was making sugared pecans. Smile

Bluegrassbaby! A late Merry Christmas, and an early Happy New Year!

The big trays I sent off to work with son and husband came back empty, so they must have liked them! The others made up for family and friends seemed popular too, as some have said the food is all gone already!

Sugared pecans! Sounds so good!

New Contributor

I was a little upset to see the holiday decorations taken down when I turned QVC on this morning. For weeks, we see nothing but Christmas movies, decorations etc and the moment December 25 is over, it's like it never happened. The whole week before and after December 25 is still the holiday season. Back to business as usual I guess....so sad

Esteemed Contributor

I was very sad to see all the beautiful trees outside on the curb for garbage pickup this morning. We keep ours up until January6th. The decorations also [inside and out].

Honored Contributor

I don't do outside but inside stays up until Epiphany. I guess I don't see the rush to close out the season, which technically doesn't end until Epiphany anyway.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...