Honored Contributor

Re: How long should a patio umbrella last?

I think no one here even tries to use an umbrella.  We have windy days on end and sudden gusts can come out of nowhere.  Plus at our altitude, fabric just rots as the sun is so intense. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My patio umbrella is at least 10 years old and looks as good now as the day I bought it.  I shelled out the extra money for Sunbrella fabric which lasts forever.  It can be washed and scrubbed and looks as good as new.  I had a 7-foot Sunbrella umbrella for about five years and decided to up-size to a 9-foot.  I gave the 7-foot to a friend, and it's still going strong.  Anytime I bought an inexpensive umbrella before the Sunbrellas, I always ended up throwing them away after 2-3 years.  Not worth it.  Sunbrella wins out for me.

P.S.  I forgot to mention that my backyard has a southerly exposure and gets direct hot sun all day long.

Respected Contributor

I don't know the brand name of mine, but it tilts and has Sunbrella fabric.  It's 13 years old and faded, but still works perfectly.  Mine sits out all year in the lowered position except when in use.  We recently experienced microbursts that uprooted some trees and ripped one section of the canopy where two pieces connect.  I think I can probably repair it by sewing or gluing it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brooklynny wrote:

My patio umbrella is at least 10 years old and looks as good now as the day I bought it.  I shelled out the extra money for Sunbrella fabric which lasts forever.  It can be washed and scrubbed and looks as good as new.  I had a 7-foot Sunbrella umbrella for about five years and decided to up-size to a 9-foot.  I gave the 7-foot to a friend, and it's still going strong.  Anytime I bought an inexpensive umbrella before the Sunbrellas, I always ended up throwing them away after 2-3 years.  Not worth it.  Sunbrella wins out for me.

P.S.  I forgot to mention that my backyard has a southerly exposure and gets direct hot sun all day long.

Oh yes I would only buy Sunbrella brand! They last forever! When my umbrella cover gets soiled I just remove it and throw it in my washer! Put it back on and walla its like brand new again.  Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I guess it depends on where you live.  Here in SE VA, mine only look good for one season.  I will use them for more, but they look pretty faded from the sun.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.