Trusted Contributor
Thinking of retirement move (5yrs out) and watching Boise Boys HGTV got me to research the area. Not much snow (18 in. yr) or rain and 200 sunny days. Low housing cost and taxes. What are the best areas and what are negatives. Thanks
Valued Contributor

My advice for anyone looking to move somewhere new is to definitely check out the cost of living but also search to see if your favorite shopping locations are present, then check to see if they have libraries, museums, symphony, etc. I’ve always feltt a healthy community can be measured by its commerce and art appreciation. For me, these two aspects really contribute to the vibrancy of the community. 

Frequent Contributor

My family moved to Boise when I was a freshman in high school. We loved it there. It has grown considerably since I lived there but according to friends who still live there it is still a great place to live. Although I love living near Seattle I will always carry a little piece of Idaho in my heart. Definitely check it out.

Valued Contributor

I haven't been on these boards much of late, but I just signed in because I plan to order the LeCreuset pan tomorrow. I saw this post and wanted to respond to it.

My husband and I retired to the Boise area (Meridian) six years ago. Left the cold winters and muggy summers of Iowa behind. Absolutely love Boise!

Here are some positives:

1. Safe friendly metropolitan area.

2. Incredibly low cost for utilities. My gas bill is never above $25.00 and my electric bill, even in the heat of summer, seldom tops $50.

3. Summers can be hot during the day, but cool off nicely at night.

4. Most of the winters are mild, with just a little snow to make things pretty.

5. Within easy driving distance of mountain scenery, lakes, skiing, winter sports.

6. Housing costs, though rising, are still affordale for many.

7. Good infrastructure, highways, schools, services.

8. Most major retailers are here (Still waiting for IKEA!)

9.Wineries and craft breweries abound.

10.The library where I work was named one of the top 5 systems in the country this year.

11. Downtown Boise is charming and welcoming.

12. Major airport.

13. Great hospitals

14. Boise State University has a great football team, and is becoming fairly respectable as an academic institution.

15. The Boise bike trail goes from one end of the city to the other. You can raft the Boise river in summer. You can hike the hills. It is a paradise for year-round sports.

15. In the six years I have been here I have never once felt unsafe or unwelcome. People are genuinely nice.

Some potential negatives:

1. Lots of new construction and people moving here from California, Oregon, and Washington. (Too expensive to live there any more) Personally, as a transplant myself, I don't begrudge them.

2. The weather is 95% nice, but, like anywhere, there can be exceptions. We had a bad winter two years ago. Boise can suffer from inversions, and get smoggy and unpleasant occasionally.

3. Because of all the new people, traffic is starting to get congested at times. But it is nothing like Seattle, Portland, or LA.

4.Lots of employment opportunities, but mostly lower pay scales.

So come and visit, and I think you will be pleased.

Love watching the Boise Boys, but they are expensive renovators!

Trusted Contributor
Thanks Colinka
I will share this with my husband. We plan on making a few visits first. Do you have any preferred areas. We would like some space.50
Valued Contributor

I would recommend looking in Boise, Meridian or Eagle.  Nampa and Caldwell are two cities a little to the west. You can find nice areas there, but it is a little further out. If you want a house with land, check out Star, Emmett, or Kuna. Boise and Eagle will be the most expensive, if you want a nice house.  Meridian is where I live, and it is quite a growing area. There is LOTS of new construction. A typical three bedroom 2 bath house will be affordable at around $250,000. In five years, who knows what the price might be?

I know a lovely realtor, if you need one.download.jpg

Respected Contributor
I am in Colorado. It can be expensive here. High taxes and land is expensive. Decent homes start around 300.000 to 400,000. With out land. They sell one acre lots for approximately 100,000 or higher where I live.
They make you pay for the scenery, I guess.I live on the western slope.
Respected Contributor
Maybe I should up and move to Idaho too. ☺
Honored Contributor

Love beautiful Idaho!

Trusted Contributor
Thanks for the suggested areas and info.