Honored Contributor

Re: How far away is your mailbox?

@chessylady wrote:

My mailbox is mounted on my house just outside my front door. 

Same here.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I live in a new development and I have to walk two blocks down hill (and then of course back up again) to get my mail at a community mailbox.  I guess when I'm too old to walk it, I'll just have to wait until someone comes to visit and ask them to get it for me.  

Does anyone get home delivery from USPS anymore?

How far away is your mailbox from your house?

You'll have to get an EZ Ryder or a tricycle.

Honored Contributor

The mailboxes are in the community's clubhouse -- a very long walk or a short car ride.  It is going to be problematic as we get older.

Honored Contributor

the mailbox is at the end of our driveway......if we have boxes he generally leaves them at the front door, sometimes in the garage if it is open.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Our mailbox is at the curb in front of our house. The mailman drives a truck where he sits on the right side. He puts the mail into each box without having to leave his truck. Each address has its own mailbox.

@On It    I have this arrangement also.  I have to walk down the driveway out 50ft.  I wonder if the USPS has a provision for delivery to disabled individuals?  Surely the ADA  considered that.

If they ever talk about changing to a c!usher mailbox, I'll be first in line to volunteer to have it in my yard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I live in a new development and I have to walk two blocks down hill (and then of course back up again) to get my mail at a community mailbox.  I guess when I'm too old to walk it, I'll just have to wait until someone comes to visit and ask them to get it for me.  

Does anyone get home delivery from USPS anymore?

How far away is your mailbox from your house?

If I have Hardship or Medical Problems, how do I request Door Delivery?

How to request door delivery due to a medical condition when your mailbox is on the curb or street.

Apr 7, 2020•FAQ
Article Number
Customer Information

"Hardship" or "Medical Problems" is defined as an illness or handicap which would present a physical challenge for an individual to retrieve mail.

To request door delivery, you need to write a letter requesting this change and attach a statement from a Doctor. The doctor's statement should indicate you are unable to collect your mail from a curb or centralized mailbox. Both your letter and the doctor's statement must be sent to the Post Office™ that delivers your mail for approval or denial. Final determination on whether or not door delivery will be granted will be made by the Post Office.

Request letters should be addressed to:

POSTMASTER
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
<YOUR CITY, STATE AND ZIP CODE>

Note: Any approval will be temporary (further information can be obtained from the local Post Office).

faq.usps.com/s/article/If-I-have-Hardship-or-Medical-Problems-how-do-I-request-Door-Delivery

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

End of my driveway, about 60 feet.

My sister lives in the city and she has a slot in the front door. Mail drops right inside onto her front room floor.   Packages must be picked up though at post office. Can't leave them on stoop.

Esteemed Contributor

In the development that I live in we have community mail boxes. My mail box is three houses down and across the street. 

Honored Contributor

Ours is affixed the the stucco (?) base of our house.  

But, we have to walk down our front steps (about 12?) to get to it.

Almost everyone's house is raised up and the mailmen would be too out of breath to deliver to the front doors, lol.

They leave UPS and Fed Ex packages on the bottom steps, too.

I don't think it's a bad neighborhood and I'd never worry about anyone stealing packages.  But rain may be an issue if you're not home and something is delivered.  I guess we should conside a huge mailbox next to our steps.

I hope and pray that steps will never be an issue.

Honored Contributor

Mailbox is in my "house."  I live on the 10th floor .... mailboxes are on the first floor.