Respected Contributor

Re: How do you use floral arrangements in your home? or plants?

No plants for me...real or fake. I don't want the care/dusting of them, plus my cats would tear up/eat them.

If I didn't have cats, I would love to have occasional cut-flower boquets in the house!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back when Home Interiors was popular, I, along with many other women, was convinced on how to decorate with specific wall displays and table accents.  Besides the main picture, you needed a shelf, some kind of candle (votives on the shelf or sconces on the wall), a couple of coordinating figurines, and silk flower arrangments.  I did my part back then, but I was sure glad when I redecorated and got rid of all the dust catchers!  I have no silk flowers anywhere anymore, except if I might decide to get a seasonal wreath to hang up.  The only live plant I have is a Peace Lily that I've had from when my mom passed away.  When my peonies and hydranges bloom, I might cut a couple to bring in.  DH will bring home cut bouquets for me and I'll always get an Easter Lily and Poinsettias, but they don't stay around long.  

Honored Contributor

I let go of all house plants when my daughters allergies worsened, and my husband was diagnosed with COPD.   I have never liked silk arrangements.  

In my basement, I have a huge Christmas cactus that was started from the plant my Grandma had in her bedroom when she died in 1969.   This cactus is very special to me, and my goal is to keep it alive as long as possible.   

Honored Contributor

I have silk flowers on my entranceway table (it's a huge bunch I found at Hobby Lobby.  I think someone was trying to hide it but nope, mine now).  It's in a Waterford vase from Evine and people do comment how much they like it when they first see it.

For live plants, not for me as they would not stay that way for very long.  I have absolutely no talent in that area at all.

I will occasionally buy a flower bouquet from Trader Joe's for the kitchen table when the spirit strikes me.  They definitely do brighten a room!

Honored Contributor

Jeanlouisefinch,

I was thinking the exact same thing-I got into that whole Home Interiors thing years ago when my girlfriend became a rep, and boy oh boy was I glad to get rid of all of those dust collectors! I too only have one plant and it is also a Peace Lily from when my Father passed away. I have it on an end table near the window where it gets nice sunlight and I always think of him when I look at it........  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some large silk orchid plants.  Everybody thinks they're real - LOL

Other than that, I don't have any plants in the house.  I do love fresh flowers when my hydrangeas bloom or when I see a pretty bouquet at the grocery store.