Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you stay organized?!

I am in no way a perfect housekeeper, but there are 3 things I do daily: make the bed every morning and put away clothes from the day before; never leave beauty items (makeup, moisturizers, etc) on my bathroom vanity - it all goes back into vanity drawers or medicine cabinet; and, I never have a sink full of dirty dishes. If I'm cooking something, I wash what I used or rinse them and put them in the dishwasher as soon as I finish cooking. DH and I don't have formal meals, but I don't let dishes from meals sit in the sink to do later.

I also try to never let mail pile up on a desk or counter top. What I don't want or don't need immediately goes in the trash or recycle bin....no matter what!

Instead of individual pieces of paper for notes to yourself, maybe use one sheet of paper for things to do for the week. Or, enter them on your phone's calendar. I keep a calendar on my refrig and write down everything that I need to do for the week. I keep one grocery list weekly. Best of luck - it's a constant battle, I know!

Honored Contributor

Yes - time!  Give yourself time to adjust!  You are going through a big life adjustment.  Your brain is telling you to be organized and that is why you keep making all these lists. But, right now hour heart just isn't in it.  And with good reason!  Just relax a bit and allow yourself time to get used to all the changes in your life.  Don't put too much pressure on yourself.  Do some things that you enjoy --- just for you.  You need healing time more than anything.  The rest of that stuff can wait and you will eventually feel like getting more organized again!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I wish I could get organized! I did when I was younger. My back pain gets so bad sometimes it seems nothing gets done except the absolute neccessary. Toilets, beds,  sinks etc. I get to te point I'm almost there & life throws me a curve ball. I have two 97 year old parents & I love them dearly. I just need a clone!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you SO much for the amazing suggestions and helpful advice. It has been a while since the divorce so Im ok with it and I wanted it so that is a good thing Woman WinkI moved over a year ago and havent gotten into the organizing yet but trying.  Its just crazy how fast things get out of control with one person in the apartment lol.

I have heard of Flylady and looked it up and she has Youtube, Facebook, Twitter.  I wouldnt sign up for daily messages. I will check out those sites and the youtube Peter Walsh for organzing too.  I subscribe to alot of things on Youtube. I appreciate so much all of the helpful messages here and its nice to know that Im not the only one in this situation! Woman Very Happy