Honored Contributor

Re: How do you stay organized?!

I have too or we become overwhelmed it is just hubby and I in a small 1 bedroom apt with a lot of storage

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear, I am right there with you, except I am married and there are two of us. It is a never ending challenge. Feel like I get one board nailed down and 10 more pop up. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear 

Years ago - there was a blog about organizing - can't recall the name.

Her advice was to start with one item and do it regularly until it becomes a habit.  Make a list of thngs that are probem areas for you and find a solution - and make a schedule and stick to it.

So - I made my list of things that were my issues - and worked on them one by one. 

• I'm a work in progress.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  Found it!   It's flylady dot net

Have you been living in CHAOS?
FlyLady is here to help you get your home organized! She teaches you to eliminate your clutter and establish simple routines for getting your home clean!

Esteemed Contributor

When I’m cooking I prepare the sink so I wash dishes as I go.  I use cutting board and knife, when done I wash them. Works great for me.  

Frequent Contributor

I feel that I am organized to a degree.   I'll clean up the kitchen or straighten out a drawer then my husband starts looking for something and before you know it there is dirty dishes in the sink, the drawer I just organized is all messed up and so on.  I just can't keep up with it.  I just get a little upset at times

Honored Contributor

I know it's " old school," but I hang a calendar with big squares , in the kitchen. I write what needs to be done each day. I check that calendar first thing, and accomplish that task. It's a small thing, but it gives me a sense of control over my life.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear .............I dont think there is a solution to your temporary problem.  I say temporary because you are still going through a grieving process with your divorce.  I call it grieving because it is a loss, no matter how much of a jerk the ex was.

Just keep doing what you can handle at this time and it will all work out for you in the future.

I wish you the best.  God bless.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I don't and have stopped letting it bother me. I know that isn't exactly helpful, @FlowerBear  I hope you find a system that works for you.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Some of us are organizationally challenged and not meant to even try to be so!!  When I worked it was either organization or extreme effciency.  I supervised a woman who was always trying things to be more organized and her work always suffered.  I finally convinced her trying to organize was working against her and making her less efficient and I was so right!  Who cares if dishes pile up or clutter amasses??!!!  I enjoy life too much to  become rigid.  There are also many who cannot be anything but organized but that is them and I would never criticize them like those of us who are organizationally challenged are constantly  being told what to do to change!!

Respected Contributor

Alratiba, one huge problem with Fly Lady is she CRAMS your email space. It was so bad, I had to quit.