Respected Contributor

I cant seem to stay organized and right now it is just me since I have gotten divorced.

For example, I have no dishes in the sink then it seems like all of sudden I have a sink full.  I start off washing each dish, pan etc. But it gets away from me even when I tell myself not to do this again lol.

I will write lists and notes on pieces of paper or on a notebook. Later on I am overrun with notes on papers.

I CAN keep laundry done and do usually fold or hang up right away so that is good.

I always have clutter on my kitchen table.

You would think with ME being the one here it would be Easier to keep things organized! Do you have any suggestions and advice!?

Super Contributor

Re: How do you stay organized?!

Start with very small steps. Pick one thing (maybe dishes?) and do one small step to help keep your dish clean up organized. Make that into a habit and then build on it. For example, start a new habit of washing just the breakfast dishes after you eat. Leave the others. Get yourself started doing 1 small step to clean after the meal. Yes, it seems weird to leave the rest of the dishes for a big clean up later, but for now, your goal is just to make washing the breakfast dishes after you eat into a habit. Once you're used to that, move on to another step Smiley Happy Good luck!
Honored Contributor

Oh friend----I feel your pain!! I am forever trying to organize stuff--even got rid of TONS of stuff and still I have more. First off, I have very limited storage ---now my husband has a 5 car garage---go figure----I would LOVE to have a professional organizer come over for a few days and help me re-think what I have. I think it is brain thing----your eyes see all of it and then your brain explodes with the visuals---if you can just focus on one thing at a time-- good talk right?? right now I am trying to re hang wall decor--took it all down as we moved out last year  because of a major repair on the roof---tree fell on it. Now there it is, piled waiting for a home-------grrrrrrr!!!!!

Super Contributor

Don't procrastinate. ....... That's how you will get behind.

Esteemed Contributor

Notes & pieces of paper............Guilty Here.  Too funny - notes to bring XX up from basement - add XX to shopping list - and on it goes.  I usually have 4 or 5 projects in progress.

Dishwasher hides the soiled dishes - so no problem there.

When you get a solution - let me know.

Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear  I can't give you any advice because I am your clone! I swear clutter multiplies faster than rabbits! I do the best I can and accept that I will never be Miss Perfect and that's OK. I'm happy in my life and that's whats important. I admire those that keep the perfect home and are organized but accept that it will never be me. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Join the club, it is just something I do too.  I have a new habit though, I survey a room as I am leaving and stop to put away, fix, etc. right then. I let my dishwasher hold dirty dishes for 3-4 days. It seems to help

Also, GET RID OF THE CLUTTER.  That way you aren't constantly moving it around and storing it.

Clear off counters and then you can spot the one piece that gets left out.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear I have no success in "staying" organized....it's an everyday challenge.

Putting my 40+ years of marriage accumulations into a small apartment continues to be a huge challenge, and I continue to let things go.

Two things I always do....make my bed as soon as I get up, and take care of any clothes or other "stuff" that's out of place.  I also make sure my dishes are done before I go to bed each night.....there's a dishwasher, but I prefer to hand-wash them.  Sometimes I am doing dishes at 11:30 at night, but that's ok!

That way my bedroom is tidy and calming when I go to bed each night, and my kitchen is in order when I put the coffee pot on each morning.  

The rest of the stuff I tidy off and on as I go through my days.  Will probably never be completely done all the time!

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear ....Is this a new behavior or just since you divorce...if it's just recent, I'd give my self a pass for a short term...you have been thru a big adjustment.

I cannot stand clutter, it seems to mess with my head, ha!  I rarely leave anything laying around, My motto is everything has a place and everything in its place.

I am  always decluttering, I do not keep things that I do not use, need or wear.  I might be extreme but it works for me.

I will say my house is not 'stuff' free.  I like to accessorise our house, I have just enough to change things out for the seasons, but reuse things in a different way, that keep the quantity of things to a minimum.  Almost everything (excpt Christmas) will fit in an antique cupboard as well as two totes..one has Easter things the other has fall things.

I'd make things are picked up before I go to bed.

Honored Contributor

Before I go to bed each night,  I cruise the living room, dining room  and kitchen looking for glasses, tissues, books and what nots that are where they should be and put them away.

All dishes are done if there are any in the sink.....usually glasses. I straighten up the pillows and throws and pick up dog toys and put them in the basket and put shoes/slippers where they belong.

In other words, I make sure my house is clutter free and neat so that I can start my day the next morning without having to worry about it.

Sometimes I am tired and not in the mood, then I tell myself that if something happens during the night and I need to call someone for help...They will see my sloppy house.  That motivates me.