Honored Contributor

Re: How do you purge things you really like but don't use?

Purging is a process & you do it when it moves you.

Otherwise, you may not truly see the value of your items.

You purchased things for a reason, it means something to you.

Don't feel pressured to purge what has meaning to you.

In my case, I took pictures of items I purged.

As far as your clothing, you can bless someone else with your lovely things.

Take a  picture of each outfit, donate 1 or 2 at a time, see if that helps get the ball rolling.

My mom tried so hard to teach me at a young age that it's more blessed to give than receive.   I really had a hard time with that one.    I am an only child and a bit selfish.   But when I did give with an open heart & received the blessing much bigger than the gift, I understood.

Your serving pieces are useful & carry many memories.    Keep them.   Make no apology for it.

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I have 2 areas that I look at and think I should thin out....but I can't.

One is my closet....I have some beautiful dressy clothes that I haven't worn since I retired. I'll take out a top and look at it and think how pretty it is and I should wear it some day and back in the closet it goes.

Then there are my cupboards with my serving pieces. I have some beautiful platters......soup tureen......cut glass relish trays...beautiful bowls. I use some of them around the Holidays once a year.

I keep looking at this stuff....but I just can't throw out or donate things from these two areas.....LOL

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean. I have two closets packed with clothes. I purged bags of work clothes when I retired. But I am having trouble getting rid of some of my nicer clothing. I know I will probably never wear many of the dresses, suits and dress tops and pants. But most are so well made or the fabric is so nice, I know I will never find that quality again. I just hate to get rid of them.

And it seems like every wedding that I am invited to - I end up trying to find a dress that I like or fits well. One wedding, I ended up buying 5 dresses before I found one that was "right".

I have to do something.

Respected Contributor

Me, too.  When my DH retired after 30 years in the military and I retired from my job I found myself with lots of dressy clothing items - mostly gowns for the military balls.  I still haven't parted with them.  I wonder if one of the organizations that collect prom dresses would like them - not sure if they are "young" enough.  As for household items, I am pretty good at only keeping things I like and use.  I have room to display things.  The only thing I have too much of is glassware but I am thinking of rotating it into our daily glassware.  

Esteemed Contributor

This topic could have been written by me - it is so timely.  I struggle with the same issues other posters have written of.  We are in our process of purging, getting ready for our eventual downsize.  Still living in the family home we so love, but in our mid-70s.  We are very lucky to be able to hire some great folks to do the “heavy lifting.”

The details would be a book, but so much collected through the years.  Problem is kids don’t want much, as their own homes are full.  I am too emotional, too sentimental.  Our parents were products of the Depression, and we went the other way.  We have donated quite a bit, and find it easier to part with clothing than other things.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

I would box all the stuff you are talking about and after 6 months if you did not use any of that stuff, it’s time to give away. Good luck

Honored Contributor

I think many of us suffer the same way, but I have reached some conclusions -  I don't waste much time on decor or useful kitchen-dining items as long as I have storage space for them, but when I have clothes in good condition that I haven't used recently and probably won't in the forseeable future, I donate them before they're too outdated for someone else to want.

I wear plenty of really old clothes, especially when I'm home alone.  Not buying new clothes for these hours makes it possible for me to replace special outfits when I really need them.  

Those other items I keep will be more likely to appeal to someone else whenever I let go

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  -  Thank you for posting this.  This is the big question for me.  I have accumulated a lot of nice things (particularly home and holiday decor) over the past 30 years of living in this home.  I have pulled things out of storage and used them, so it's not like i don't like them anymore, or they are worn out.  I think if I don't know what i have, and can't easily access it,  then I have too much.  Yes, I may use it in the future, but I'm 63, and widowed/no kids, so how many more times will I want (and be able to, for that matter) to change decor.  I am working on my post retirement wardrobe, that seems to go a little easier.  It is hard to get rid of classic, quality items that. as one poster said, because we won't see that quality again.  I have gotten so much better about not bringing in more stuff.  I don't feel guility or feel I have to "apologize" for having stuff, but I want to be able to enjoy my things.  

Honored Contributor

If you truly want to purge, you can do it.  Start small.  Pick a percent.  Say 20%, then go do it.  20 pieces of clothing, pick 4 to donate.  In six months, pick 20% again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should only get rid of things you no longer want or need.  If something is near and dear to you for whatever reason, why purge it?

i know this is a new trend, but it it stupid.  I wonder how many people have regrets and now it is too late.

I have some cluttered closets and when I open them up, I am happy to see my stuff still there.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Nataliesgramma , I had a hard time when I retired getting rid of work clothing.  Alter awhile, a just did it.  I serve on several committees now.  People don’t dress up for work any more.  

I did a huge purge, updated my dressed up look with a few quality staples and left it at that.  Now if I have to go anywhere dressy, I am set.  I can tell you it happens less and less often.  Everything is so casual today.  LM

@Lilysmom  @Nataliesgramma   We went out to dinner last night at what 8 years ago I'd have worn a very nice outfit and pearls to.  Last night we decided to go on last minute so I put a nicer knit top over my black jeans, a very nice cardigan, good shoes and a dab of makeup and out the door we went.

I think we were about the spiffiest people there.  Goes to show you.

I'd take out maybe 5 formerly loved and dressy things (say tops for instance) keep three and get rid of two.  Go forward like that doing a couple of groups or so a day.  Soon your closet looks better and it becomes easier.

For every three or so you throw away at first, buy one new and updated piece.  A few weeks of that and you will be stunned at how much better your closet looks and what you have to wear!

I buy clothes at Talbots and have for years.  They are mix and match and go together from year to year, so I have LOTS of looks that match!  

Good luck!  It's not easy!