Honored Contributor

Re: How do you purge things you really like but don't use?

Everything I really like is displayed; a few very special family pieces were given to my nephew when he bought a house.   

I’ve never had a problem letting go of things I don’t wear, or use.   

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think there's a difference between clothing that you like but probably won't wear again, compared to some beautiful crystal or serving pieces that you truly find beautiful and use occasionally. As hard as it is, it may be time to pass along the clothing that you know you won't wear again - let someone else get some use out of them. Be careful about the serving pieces. Lolokimono is right with suggestions about repurposing some of those pieces if you can. If there are pieces that would still just sit in a cabinet and you know you won't use, then maybe it's time for them to find a new home at a consignment shop. I love beautiful crystal and china, but I made the decision to not hang on to some of the pieces that just made no sense for me anymore. It's not easy!

Honored Contributor

For me I try to "repurpose" a piece I really like but lately I find after months of remodeling & purging to a "cleaner looking minimal 

look" in all areas of the house.   It's easy to donate or sell the better things.

My biggest downfall is tons of tableware, Temptations, home decor accent pieces.  I've slowly gone thru them and boxed to sell at our community yard sale.  Been boxed for over 6 months --obviously didn't need them cuz I haven't unboxed them yet😉.

My clothes & household items that are in good shape I donate them to our local woman's shelter.  This shelter provides for woman restarting after abusive situations.  They are very appreciative. 

Its ts a great feeling going in my "spaces" and everything in order & no excess!

Esteemed Contributor

While I dont live with stuff, I did part with 3 serving pieces from my china just before the holidays and sold them on the bay.

It was tough but they were pieces that get no use. I mean 0 use. One was an extra large platter but I realized my 2 small platters are more practical. The smaller size makes them easier to carry to the table and store away.

I parted with some stemware as well. I sold it for a nice profit. Again, only the stemmed water goblets got a lot of use. The wine glasses just took up space.

Valued Contributor

With clothing that doesn't get regular wear I'll try wearing a piece for a day to see if I still love it in use and want to wear it again. If I feel so-so about it, it goes in the donation pile. 

I have a closet full of blazers. Don't want to toss them out because I'm sure I'll never find ones so nicely made or nicely fitting again. So I wear them like sweaters. Whenever I go out to a friend or relatives' house, or a restaurant I throw on a blazer over a T-shirt. So what if everyone else is dressed more casually? 

Had a bunch of poly blouses that I was reluctant to part with. But when I tried the I'll-wear-it-for-a-day test I was not enthused about wearing them again, so out they went. 

I try to go through all my dishes, kitchen and glassware once a year and toss out anything I haven't used in the past year. It seems like it's getting harder to do this. Friends and relatives are downsizing to move into retirement communities and they keep coming over with goodies to pass on. Ahhh! I don't need more stuff! We're downsizing in anticipation of retirement and a possible move too. 

Valued Contributor

What a great idea to wear a piece of clothing for a day and then decide whether to keep or let it go. Many items have ended up hanging forever  because it was not comfortable, did not flatter you or you just felt it was not an appropriate clothing piece for you anymore. Those very reasons are why they are hanging and not being worn. I am going to try your suggestion, as I still have more to get rid of. Thanks for that hint.

@AuntMame wrote:

With clothing that doesn't get regular wear I'll try wearing a piece for a day to see if I still love it in use and want to wear it again. If I feel so-so about it, it goes in the donation pile. 

I have a closet full of blazers. Don't want to toss them out because I'm sure I'll never find ones so nicely made or nicely fitting again. So I wear them like sweaters. Whenever I go out to a friend or relatives' house, or a restaurant I throw on a blazer over a T-shirt. So what if everyone else is dressed more casually? 

Had a bunch of poly blouses that I was reluctant to part with. But when I tried the I'll-wear-it-for-a-day test I was not enthused about wearing them again, so out they went. 

I try to go through all my dishes, kitchen and glassware once a year and toss out anything I haven't used in the past year. It seems like it's getting harder to do this. Friends and relatives are downsizing to move into retirement communities and they keep coming over with goodies to pass on. Ahhh! I don't need more stuff! We're downsizing in anticipation of retirement and a possible move too. 

Valued Contributor

My MIL downsized to a Senior apartment at age 80.  She had lived in her house for 40 years.  Those of you that "edit" by going through things every 6-12 months to declutter are very smart...my MIL didn't do that!  It was a lot of work to go through all her things, and for her to decide what to take to her new apartment.  I tried to encourage her to take the things she loved and treasured, and that she found beautiful and useful.   

*I think things you Love and treasure should have a place of Honor in your home, not buried in a drawer.

*We don't have to take our families hand-me-downs, the items were theirs to enjoy, and we don't have to have them clutter our space, unless we love them too.  

(This is not the same...but I was decluttering this weekend...I have too many journals! I am going to bring one to each of my book  club friends this weekend...win-win!)

Natiliesgramma...I hope you will experiment with wearing one of your dressy tops, and perhaps giving one away  too.  Same with your crystal! 

Let's enjoy our beautiful things more often...we don't have to just wait for  a special occasion! Or, perhaps donate or give to a friend...think how much it might brighten someone else's day, if we are done enjoying an item...

Have a great week!

Honored Contributor

When it comes to things like this, I ask myself what would my daughter do with it...when the answer to that is, throw it in a dumpster I know it's time for me to make the decision and I donate it.

I have two boxes of dishes that belonged to my grandmother.  They have been sitting in the boxes they were given to me in 30 years ago, never opened or touched. 

I know I have no intentions of ever using them and I have decided to donate them.

Valued Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

My MIL downsized to a Senior apartment at age 80.  She had lived in her house for 40 years.  Those of you that "edit" by going through things every 6-12 months to declutter are very smart...my MIL didn't do that!  It was a lot of work to go through all her things, and for her to decide what to take to her new apartment. 

This is what I'm afraid of. I have several friends and relatives who suffered a health emergency after they retired and had to abruptly move to some sort of senior apartment or retirement community. They were completely unprepared for downsizing after a life as a packrat in a large home. And their health wasn't good enough for them to be sorting through all their possessions for weeks. 

Honored Contributor

For many years I have downsized and donated a lot of clothing and other useful items to several thrift stores.  Late last year we purchased a new much smaller home in a retirement community and I was forced into donating a lot of items that I realized we could not take with us.  We still had a lot of stuff that we kept for many years even though we infrequently or never used or wore them.  We had a large home with large rooms and I just continually found space for them.

It's been just over two months since we moved into our new home and I can say there isn't one thing that I miss that I either donated or sold or gave to family members.  How I wish I had done this sooner than later.  It would have made the moving process so much easier.

Bottom line:  I now have treasured memories of many of those things and know others will benefit from our donations.  That makes us happy.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~