Honored Contributor

Re: How do you purge things you really like but don't use?

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Nataliesgramma , I had a hard time when I retired getting rid of work clothing.  Alter awhile, a just did it.  I serve on several committees now.  People don’t dress up for work any more.  

I did a huge purge, updated my dressed up look with a few quality staples and left it at that.  Now if I have to go anywhere dressy, I am set.  I can tell you it happens less and less often.  Everything is so casual today.  LM

@Lilysmom  @Nataliesgramma   We went out to dinner last night at what 8 years ago I'd have worn a very nice outfit and pearls to.  Last night we decided to go on last minute so I put a nicer knit top over my black jeans, a very nice cardigan, good shoes and a dab of makeup and out the door we went.

I think we were about the spiffiest people there.  Goes to show you.

I'd take out maybe 5 formerly loved and dressy things (say tops for instance) keep three and get rid of two.  Go forward like that doing a couple of groups or so a day.  Soon your closet looks better and it becomes easier.

For every three or so you throw away at first, buy one new and updated piece.  A few weeks of that and you will be stunned at how much better your closet looks and what you have to wear!

I buy clothes at Talbots and have for years.  They are mix and match and go together from year to year, so I have LOTS of looks that match!  

Good luck!  It's not easy!

Valued Contributor

I was marri d to a doctor in a town of 35,000 people so he was a,big fish in a little pond.  We entertained a lot!  He passed away and my lifestyle changed, so did clean,out the closet and cupboards.  My sisters and nieces took a lot of my serving pieces and a few different china patterns.  I took comfort that they will be used throughout the year on holidays and special occasions.  I donated the rest to Goodwill.

i kept a few nice pairs of slacks and blouses, one suit and one fancy dress, and donated the rest to My Sisters Closet.  Also donated DH clothes to Goodwill.  Never looked back.

just know that someone (perhaps less fortunate) will be using and enjoying your lovely things.  Appreciate that you are able to pass along your life’s experiences to someone who will benefit from them.

Respected Contributor

If you have enough room and enjoy looking at the clothing and annually using the serving pieces maybe keep them. They are still serving a function for you, bringing you joy as Marie Kondo would say.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Nataliesgramma -

You said it all so well, describing what I bet a lot of us feel.

I think you should keep them until you feel like you want to part with any, whether its a cup or plate or 2 or a bunch. 

Its nice when you have the feeling oh I can give this away or to a special someone.

I've started giving a pretty plate or cup filled with candy as a birthday gift or to a hostess

and that makes me happy and them too.

Until you find a place that you like for any of it, more than the place it is now, keep them and enjoy them however little or often you want.

They are yours and you don't have to give them away and when you want to, that will make you feel good too.

Great idea to give as gifts filled with treats.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Nataliesgramma 

I would repurpose what I can't give up.

Beautiful bowl? Put it on the counter and keep fresh fruit in it.

Platter? Turn it into a wall hanging and add photos with double sided tape.

Add candles and turn it into a centerpiece.

I have three pieces of Polish Pottery that I use in my bathroom.  Two "apple" cookers hold my cotton pads and my night guard.  A loaf pan sits on top of my toilet, where I store my makeup.

Beautiful blouse?  Find out why you don't wear it.  Does it need to be tailored?  Would you wear it if it were sleeveless or short sleeved?  Dresses?  Do you need a pair of more comfortable shoes to go with it?

Excellent ideas.

Honored Contributor

It's a good question, with many good answers/suggestions having been given.
I don't have a perfect answer, but will say that my first attempt at serious purging yielded a lot I could give up without hesitation. The next few times I had less I wanted to part with. This year, as I am aging and doing less entertaining, etc., I pulled out lots of big serving pieces, etc. for the simple fact of knowing I'm not planning to use them again. Need to free up space for the things I do use on a regular basis so it's not a major thing to access those items. I want to make my life easier and I don't want (at some point far into the future, lol) of someone else having to clear out all this stuff. I also see, within another year or two, of needing to move to a single story home, so at that point it won't be so overwhelming of a task.
As for clothing, that's harder for me, I decluttered majorly after I retired, but kept a lot of things for more dressy occasions, but except for the occasional wedding/funeral, my life is very casual. I will be going into my closet within the next week or two to take another whack at it and pare down more. My more dressy clothing is all classic in style, so still appropriate to wear now, even though most of it has been hanging there for a while now.
Good luck.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

There is no rule saying that anyone HAS to purge things. If you want to, do. If you don’t, don’t. There is no right or wrong answer. 

I’m one of those people who has a very easy time purging. I don’t have any emotional attachment to most objects. Those things that I AM attached to, I’d never get rid of. My sister’s kids can hurl them into the dumpster when I’m gone.

With my purging, I’ve tried to make it easier for my husband and me if we have to downsize.  And, after cleaning out my parents house, which was really not bad at all compared to some, I just don’t want someone to have to sift through tons of things I don’t use. 

On things where there is no emotional attachment, I have no trouble at all. It’s just all how each of is wired. Again, there are no rules saying you have to get rid of things. 

Marie Kondo’s method is to keep what brings you joy.  She never tells you to purge anything. She advises you to keep what brings you joy.  Different way of looking at it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

If I liked it and had enough storage, I would keep it.

When I open a drawer or look in my closet and it gives the heebie jeebies, then I need to purge.

Valued Contributor

This is a big issue in my life too.  I moved from a home in Michigan (with a basement and garage) to a 2/2 condo in Florida where there is little to no storage.  With a love of antiques and collectible glass, I've collected a lot!  I've learned a few things over the years about "stuff."  

1.  Purging and thinning out a collection will be an on-going project that will probably never end.  So I've relieved myself of the pressure of getting it done once and for all.

2.  The more stuff I have crammed into closets, under the bed, in the bathtub (OMG! I use my tub for storage!!) etc., the more stress it causes me.  So when I let it go, I'm literally de-stressing.  Less stuff = more peace.

3.  I tell myself that most things are replaceable if necessary.  I can always buy another "thing" at the store or on eBay or whatever, and saying that allows me to let go.  The funny thing is, I never replace anything -- in fact -- I rarely even remember what I got rid of!

Don't be too hard on yourself -- you're not alone!

Honored Contributor

I agree--use the things you love somehow---I am not one to keep to much due to sentimentality---maybe take photos of them and maybe frame the pics, then find a new home for them. As far as clothing---good grief----my closet it a mess but DD and I will go thru piece by piece and donate most of it---I can't wear most of anymore---doesn't fit and why would you keep it if you can't or don't wear it---- lots of folks need clothing. Will be purging my kitchen soon and there will be a ton of stuff  finding new homes-----I have a bunch of Princess house stuff----what was I thinking!! Prob will donate that too. Woman Frustrated