Respected Contributor

Re: How do you keep home organized, clean and neat?

I need help too!  I just went thru some makeup and reorganized it so it would fit in a drawer.  I saw someone do a Month of Purge something eveyday.  Easy to take things one at a time.  Like maybe I will start this and purge everything under the bathroom sink and medicine cabinet today... then tomorrow something else.  get a diary and keep it up doing something everyday!  I an going to do just that myself.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you stay organized?

@Sooner wrote:

My spouse is very neat.  I am fortunate.  

Have any of you with a messy one ever thought about just leaving it there?  Let it pile up to his ears and not say a word.

Pick up your stuff, dishes, papers, and just leave it until the subject comes up?  Then "Oh dear.  I hadn't noticed."

Anyway, just a thought. . . Woman Wink

I have to speak up.  I respectively disagree with this.  It's been tried.  Doesn't work.  If anything, it only increases.  So if I've worked hard to have neatness going on, this just doesn't work.  He'll cooperate for awhile, then we're back to his (out of place) closet. 

Respected Contributor

In general, I'm a neat and organized person.  I never have dishes in the sink..  They're always washed and put away after every use.  After showering, the shower is always wiped down, cleaned and dried.  We move into our house 5 years ago and have been remodeling ever since.  My taste has gone to clean lines, neutral colors and most importantly no clutter.  I hate clutter.  Makes cleaning, especially dusting, so much easier.  

Respected Contributor

Thankfully my husband is very neat.  If we take something out,  it goes back to it's home when we're done.   Dishes  either go into the dishwasher or the other side of the sink that has a rack, but are only there for a short period.   Cleaning is ongoing... dustbusters, wiping things down, cleaning the bathrooms,  etc.  My husband vacuums every Thursday (LOVE!) and we use a cordless vac and dustbuster the other days.  My only issue is the MAIL...  keeping up with the mail is killer for me,  but we're getting a better handle on that.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and I are both very neat.  We love our home - it is our soft place to fall so we respect it and keep it nice. Not difficult at all. 

I also agree with never going to bed or leaving the home unless it is in a condtion that I would want others to see.  I do a walk-through before going to bed and before going out, every single time. My husband just grins when I have to move something from the dining nook table (like a glass) and put it in the dishwasher.  I tell him, Well, do we want to look at that first thing in the morning? Smiley Very Happy

I think the more you love your space, the more you will care for it. 

( And quit putting paperwork in a drawer to later put in a file folder. You are doubling up.  File it imediately and skip the drawer).  

Same as a person that drops a towel on a floor and then has to pick it up and hang it on a towelrack, or leaves clothes on the floor and has to pick them up to put in a hamper.  Just making extra work that will have to be done eventually.  

It is so much more relaxing.  You can do it !

Respected Contributor

Never cared for the refrigerator covered with magnet look.   Wondered how people could wipe their refrigerator off each day - guess everything is removed and replaced? 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs   Do not sweat the small stuff....is the Queen of England coming to visit?  Let it go....you clean it up you said eventually so what t if you have a  few dishes in the sink. You will get to it. Who do you need to impress?

Few people live in organized spotless homes....you would be surprised if you walked in to your neighbors homes at what you would see. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is just my daughter and I.  Well, the 2 cats too. 

We pick up after ourselves so it really never gets cluttered.  She works and is gone 11 hrs. a day and I do what I can, dusting, laundry etc.  Floors, well my back objects, so she does those weekends.

I wish I were a tiny bit OCD and I might be if the old body worked better.

The way I view it, I never saw an obit or tombstone with, "you could eat off her floor."

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

My good friend, who is extremely neat, her house is always super clean, she said she no longer puts anything on her refrigerator, she has a spare bedroom where she displays her grand children's artwork!

She said that has really made her kitchen look more streamlined and clean-with out all of that stuff on her refrigerator. 

Interesting concept...

When the kids were little, I'd have all kinds of stuff on the refrigerator.  Then I saw a picturer of it, and I was horrified.  I vowed never to have a cluttered refrigerator after that.

best thing about a SubZero you can't use magnets,

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@CherryHugs - I haven't read everyone's responses so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but it seems to me like the things you are talking about are things that have to be done at least daily, if not several times a day, in order to keep a space neat and tidy.

For example, after each meal I always clean up the mess, which means food put back away, dishes put in the dishwasher or washed out and drying, all counters cleared off and wiped off. An organizer that I used to follow called it "erase the evidence". When you are done you shouldn't even know that you had anything out, everything should be put back away to "normal".

Mail I also go thru every day when I bring it in. Trash to trash, shred to shred and stuff that I need to keep like bills gets put away into a letter holder until I get to it, off the counter. 

Dirty clothes always get put in hampers. I do laundry when the hampers start to get about half full. I have a hubby and 2 boys, 12 and 15. They will sometimes help with laundry too if needed, but I usually do some every 2-3 days. Clothes always get put away immediately after taking out of the dryer, no sitting around waiting.

Every day I go thru the whole house and tidy up. That was another thing from the organizer, I believe she called it a "whole house tidy". The organizer was called Flylady in case you're interested, she used to have a website, not sure if she still does or not, I haven't followed her in a long time, but she has a lot of good, practical advice.

Anyway, every single day I go thru and clear surfaces and put random things back where they belong. If I don't do it every day then things will pile up. If I do it every day it's not too bad and doesn't take too long. 

Same with cleaning, I have 4 dogs so I vacuum almost every day. I wipe out the toilets every day, wipe down counters, etc. Just little things that don't take long but really make the house feel neater and cleaner, even if it's really not. 

If I just put things away and cleaned and then didn't do anything for a few days my space would be a mess again too. Unfortunately, it is a constant process that needs to be done all the time in order to keep a place looking neat.

But, if you do this stuff long enough it will just become second nature after a while. I've been doing it for so long that I honestly don't even think about it anymore, most of it is  just a part of my daily routine. 

Oh, and make your bed every day!

@rnmom Well said. You do have to keep up with it each day. Now i hate to see anything anywhere not in it's place.