Honored Contributor

How do you keep home organized, clean and neat?

[ Edited ]

Do you have any tips to stay organized that you use? And to keep up cleaning etc.

I will clean up and clear clutter and then a few days later its a mess again!

For days I will get the dishes down and then in a few days I have a sink full, clutter all around, papers and lists on the table, etc.

I try to stay organized but not sure what Im doing wrong!

Its all on me too LOL since Im divorced and cant blame anyone else for making a mess Cat EmbarassedCat Frustrated

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you stay organized?

The only time I really stayed organized was when I was on my own.  My apartment was neat, tidy and I had fresh flowers on the table every day.

Put me together with another person, who isn't particularly tidy...forget it.

Wish I could help but, when you figure it out, please let me know.  Smiley Wink 

Trusted Contributor

Gosh @CherryHugs , I'll be following this one hoping that you get some good suggestions that I can use too.

I think I am pretty organized, but unfortunately, it seems as though being that way, keeps me very, very busy all the time.

As soon as I find out that  I need to purchase something, I add it immediately to a list.  I have a list for grocery store, home improvement store, Walmart, etc.  When I leave to go shopping, I always take my lists with me so that I can hopefully cross out a few items.

As for things that need to be done around the house, again I keep a list.  For example, I list that I want to wash the back fence, I want to take the grill out of the basement to sell on Craigslist, I need to put a nail in the wall of the shed to hang the broom, etc.  Then each weekend I look at the list to see what items I can get done, so that I can cross them out.  I never want to have the "to do list" get too big where I'll just feel overwhelmed by it.

I keep up with my mail pretty much everyday.  I throw out the junk and pay the bills as soon as I get them.  I put all of the mail that I need to save in a drawer.  When the drawer starts getting full, I then file everything in file folders that are labeled - for example, Comcast, Village Bills, Discover Card, Electric Bills, etc.

As for dishes, I wash them every single day as soon as dinner is done.  I never let them accumulate.

If I could get rid of more "stuff" I would feel very good about my situation.  But I still have closets, cabinets, etc. that are stuffed way too much, but I still have a hard time getting rid of something that still works or is still in great condition.

Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

I'd you do not wash your dishes immediately and put them away, they will not wash themselves.

The same with paperwork and clutter.  I walk around the house bedore I go to bed at night and make  sure everything is straightened up and tidy.

I don't want to have anyone have to come into my home at night on an emergency basis and see a mess.  You never know when you might have to call for for police or medical help.

Honored Contributor

I generally keep to a schedule - do certan things on certain days.  

For instance - Friday mornings - I go through the apartment with the swifter duster.

My dining room table gets cluttered because I drop everything there when I come in.  Every couple of days, I'll take a coffee break and sit down at the table with a trash bag and go through the clutter.

I clean up the kitchen every night.  I don't want to wake up in the morning and walk into a messy kitchen.  Rooms are small - washing kitchen and bathroom floors takes no time at all with a Swifter Wetjet.

Shoe bags hanging inside all the closet doors and the bathroom doors for miscellaneous stuff - scarves, gloves, toiletries, etc., etc.  

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs To quote you, "what you're doing wrong" is you're not putting your things away and washing your dishes.

There is no magic pill or organizing tip appropriate here.  You live alone.  You gotta do the work to stay organized. Develop good habits. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I'd you do not wash your dishes immediately and put them away, they will not wash themselves.

The same with paperwork and clutter.  I walk around the house bedore I go to bed at night and make  sure everything is straightened up and tidy.

I don't want to have anyone have to come into my home at night on an emergency basis and see a mess.  You never know when you might have to call for for police or medical help.

@Carmie  I agree with your post, especially the last paragraph.....Reminds me of  " always wear clean underwear in case you get involved in an accident. "

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

To answer the question honestly - I don't!  It's just me and I have earned the right to do what I want when and if I want to.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

When my best friend died suddenly of a heart attack, it was especially sad to come back to her home from the hospital and find it a mess.  The kitchen had dirty dishes, pots, and pans from the bacon and egg lunch she had made for herself that day.  It certainly added to my grief.  I learned a huge lesson that day. 

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac  You go girl !!!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread