Honored Contributor

How do you guys hang pictures?

I've always just tapped nails in and hung them by the frames.  They hung for years like that. 

Now that I moved into the new place, my mother said she wanted me to hang them "the right way."  I have no idea what that is nor do I honestly care anymore since the promised people who were supposed to come and hang them "the right way" have never materialized over the past several months.

I am tapping nails again and hanging by the frame as always probably this weekend unless someone wants to enlighten me on "the right way" please.

Thanks!   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you guys hang pictures?

@Laura14 ook nails

Honored Contributor

I did not know there was a right or wrong way either.  I find the spot I want to hang the picture, put a small nail (or whatever it takes) and hang it.  Done!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  Depending how heavy the picture I either use nails or picture hooks. I don’t really think there is a right or wrong way as long as it’s easy & it works.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I use picture hanging hooks. They sell them in the hardware stores or places like home Depot. They come in different weights depending on the weight of what you are hanging. I use Command strips on items that are seasonal. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks guys! 

I always just found a couple sturdy nails and went from there too.  I have not heard of ook nails but I will try and find them while I am out and about. They look perfect for what I need.  

I have some large pictures but nothing super heavy at all and nothing I haven't hung on a nail or two or three before.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Do what works for you!  

If you get a picture professionally framed, there will be a wire running from one side to the other, and you would hang it from the wire.  If you want to put more than one picture in an arrangement, and want them to hang from the same hieght, it can be more challenging to get them even when using a wire.

There are also hooks for hanging pictures.... the nail goes through the hook, and the wire on the picture hangs on the hook, rather than the nail.  If the pictures you are hanging are heavier, this would be preferable to hanging them on the nail itself, as it's a sturdier option.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  ... This is what the hooks look like.....  They come in different sizes to support different weights.

Plaster Picture Hangers 30 lbs - Picture Hanging Nails - Picture Hanging Hooks - Picture Hang Solutions (25 Pack)

Honored Contributor

There are an array of 'thingys' at the home stores that will be safer than just a nail. Different kinds and sizes of things require different kinds of hanger to make them safe to not fall or tear at the wall. 

I've used a number of different things, some screw into a plastic thing you put in the wall, some are brackets that when nailed to the wall, make the nail angle downward and provide extra strength for heavy items. 

I hate hanging things. I over obsess about the height, the location, the grouping or alone thing. I see so many pictures where I think how awful things look that people have hung. The biggest thing I notice is that some people hang things way high. It's like their stuff is almost on the ceiling. 

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Laura14  ... This is what the hooks look like.....  They come in different sizes to support different weights.

Plaster Picture Hangers 30 lbs - Picture Hanging Nails - Picture Hanging Hooks - Picture Hang Solutions (25 Pack)

Yes, things like this I've used and really like the security of them.