Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get rid of spiders?

@qualitygal wrote:

I can't keep up with them. They do some beautiful webs, I'm tired of getting them down. (webs) They are quick at putting new ones up. This is down the basement, but to not spray anything that could hurt my little girl dog, I am looking for other ideas. Anyone?

Agree. but they need 'em for noms. ;-)

Which helps us keep the bug population down.  8)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can also humanely use the "Bugzooka" bug vacuum, and then transport them outside to a new home.

I've been using one for years, and sometimes softly sing the first line of "Born Free" on the way, LOL.

just Google-search for vendors

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Nevadablue wrote:

I know I'm going to sound dumb but where do you get the peppermint oil??? the ones thats used in baking? because we live in the country and spiders are a MAJOR problem here I'm willing to try anything.

You don't sound "dumb", @Nevadablue, and there are no dumb questions.

How would you know anyway as you've never bought it? ;-)

You can definitely get it  from Amazon and other online vendors - just look for food-grade oil.

As far as in-person vendors, just check the websites of Walmart, Target, and other places to see if it's available at your local store.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

There is a little spider who lives in one corner of a window next to my computer. It's a very small spider and it makes the cutest webs!Smiley Happy Every week when I dust the sills, I see little gnat-looking things caught in it's web. I just don't have the heart to whisk away it's home. This little spider has become a sort of pet, in a weird sense, but I enjoy watching  it everyday. It's cute to me and I don't want to kill it. I know, you probably think I'm weird and creepy...LOL!Woman LOL

Nope - just empathetic, and don't think humans are superior to any other kind of animal.

Which is as it should be.

I echo all of your sentiments above.  Woman Happy

ETA@SilleeMee

Why not name her Charlotte?

Or, if you think it's a boy, Wilbur.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

You can also humanely use the "Bugzooka" bug vacuum, and then transport them outside to a new home.

I've been using one for years, and sometimes softly sing the first line of "Born Free" on the way, LOL.

@feline groovy,

LOL!!Woman LOLSmiley LOL

Valued Contributor

Every summer there is a big spider living on the outside of my bedroom window.  We love watching him make his web.  Even strong storms do not dislodge him.  We call him Mr. Spidey.  (I know he is not the same one.)

When I bring my plants in I also bring in big brown garden spiders.  My cat takes care of them, and I do find legs here and there.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@feline groovy,

LOL!!Woman LOLSmiley LOL

@SilleeMee wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@feline groovy,

LOL!!Woman LOLSmiley LOL

I mean, it's basically wildlife rescue.  ;-)

Respected Contributor

There is also a  product that I have gotten on-line called Spider-Not......I used it on the back of our garage by the motion detector lights. Works for outdoor use only.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@athenian wrote:

Every summer there is a big spider living on the outside of my bedroom window.  We love watching him make his web.  Even strong storms do not dislodge him.  We call him Mr. Spidey.  (I know he is not the same one.)

When I bring my plants in I also bring in big brown garden spiders.  My cat takes care of them, and I do find legs here and there.

@athenian,

Under my deck there lives this mongo, huge spider...I mean BIGSmiley Surprised. It looks like a crab...colored orange and tan, no hair. Its web is magnificent! Thank goodness that  web is up high because I think my golden retriever would get caught in it and be the spider's meal...not really, but it is a huge spider! Glad its outside and not in my house.Woman Happy 

Here it is! The bulb part of the body is about the size of  ping pong ball.

Colorado Crab Spider

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee
That pic is my worst nightmare. I can handle rodents, snakes and almost anything else. But spiders send me over the edge!
OMG euuuuw!
"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield