Honored Contributor

Re: How do you dust your furniture?

Microfiber/Swiffers. I also have a major problem with rearranging dust and not removing it.

After the upper (furniture) dusting, I finish off with the Shark. It's a fight I never win. 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Microfiber/Swiffers. I also have a major problem with rearranging dust and not removing it.

After the upper (furniture) dusting, I finish off with the Shark. It's a fight I never win. 

@violann

It seemed that I, too, was dusting, but in just a few minutes, a small amount of the dust I had just removed from a surface was settling down on it again. 

That is when I decided to try the Supercloth damp. It is a very dark cloth, and just enough water is retained to act like a magnet and hold the dust to the cloth. 

It is sickening what you see on that cloth. I had thought, that back in the day, when I used a white tee shirt or diaper to dust, I would see 'dirt' collecting on the cloth, but nothing like the white/light dust that sticks to the Supercloth. It is actually embarrassing how much dust is laying on the surfaces of my house, and nothing really tuned me in to just how bad it really was until these cloths.

I just bought the new ones that finally came back in to Q (they seemed to be gone for a couple of years or more) and while they are thinner than my original ones from many years ago, they seem to perform the same, and actually are a little easier to wring out and feel good in the hand. 

I've never found any kind of 'duster' that really works. They all scatter some amount of dust and don't completely hold on to it. Furniture polish and a rag still scatter a small amount of dust. But using a damp Supercloth leaves the very least amount of scattered dust to land back on surfaces, that I've ever seen.

And you are so right. Dust seems to be a fight we never win. Wish it was money, as it seems to magically reappear on a continual basis!

Honored Contributor

I use one of those handheld Swiffer things, but I actually use a knock-off brand, because it is much cheaper.  I also use cleansing cloths especially designed for wood surfaces on my solid cherry vanity in the bathroom and on other solid wood furniture. I was scared to death to use them the first time, but I really like them.  I have been using them for a few years now. They clean and polish without damaging the wood and are easier to use than a spray IMO.

Respected Contributor

Everything microfiber - cleaning cloths, telescoping duster, duster.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Over the winter we have had an issue with a lot of dust , mostly in our bedroom but also around the entertainment center in the living room, which is right next to the bedroom.I am having to dust between when the housekeeper comes every 2 weeks and even so, she is saying that it seems to be an awful lot of dust.So DH thought that perhaps there may be a tear in the AC ductwork above the bedroom causing it to be blowing out insulation so he crawled up in the attic  but didn't find any problem. My housekeeper does several homes in our plan and says ours is the only one with this issue. She is actually having to use the dusting attachment on the vacuum before she using her dustrag. We continue to investigate what may be the cause. I have thought it could be lint from the carpet so I'm having the carpets professionally cleaned next week. What is odd is it is only in this one area of the house , the rest is fine. it is made even worse looking by the fact that we have dark mahogany furniture in our bedroom that shows every speck of dust.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Over the winter we have had an issue with a lot of dust , mostly in our bedroom but also around the entertainment center in the living room, which is right next to the bedroom.I am having to dust between when the housekeeper comes every 2 weeks and even so, she is saying that it seems to be an awful lot of dust.So DH thought that perhaps there may be a tear in the AC ductwork above the bedroom causing it to be blowing out insulation so he crawled up in the attic  but didn't find any problem. My housekeeper does several homes in our plan and says ours is the only one with this issue. She is actually having to use the dusting attachment on the vacuum before she using her dustrag. We continue to investigate what may be the cause. I have thought it could be lint from the carpet so I'm having the carpets professionally cleaned next week. What is odd is it is only in this one area of the house , the rest is fine. it is made even worse looking by the fact that we have dark mahogany furniture in our bedroom that shows every speck of dust.

@151949

I know that our bedroom is the absolute dustiest place in our home. I don't know if it is because the master bath is attached, and all the using of towels, and removing and putting on of clothing etc. in addition to the constant moving of the bed clothes just creates more dust.

When you mention your entertainment center having a lot too, that seems normal to me, as the electronic equipment acts like a magnet for dust. And couple that with the fact it is near your bedroom which is already dusty, makes sense.

Is your laundry room near these two areas? Do you fold clothes and load the washer with the laundry room door open? That might cause dust. I know that I close my laundry room door, especially when folding clean laundry or sorting dirty, to keep dust from it in that room and not spilling out into the family room. Also. is your dryer hose attached properly and not venting dust back into the area, or does your vent for the dryer go directly out a wall, or have to travel through anywhere else (floor, wall) to get outside, and could be breached and 'leaking' dust?

Is maybe your vacuum not tightly sealed and blowing fine dust out that takes a little while to settle back on surfaces?

Duct work clean, so when AC/heat runs it isn't blowing out dust? Furnace filters changed regularly?

Ceiling fans (or other fans) really clean, or could the be throwing dust from high places?

Open windows in these areas a lot of the time, and some pollen or other outside dust getting in? Is it near the area you had your new concrete work done, and some residual dust coming from that?

And the only other thing I can think of, is maybe try damp dusting these areas for a couple of weeks and not using any kind of dry dusting. Perhaps whatever cloth or duster is being used is only scattering the dust, and letting much of it resettle.

Valued Contributor

Anybody remember Amelia Bedelia?  I think she used talcum powder.  Smiley Wink

I had a picture to insert, but do not know how to do it... 

I use lots of different things to dust, a Campenilli duster thing, microfiber cloth, small brush with different shaped bristles on each end, and old fashioned yellow sueded cloth thing.  Just depends on what I am dusting. 

Respected Contributor

I blow on it.

Honored Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

Anybody remember Amelia Bedelia?  I think she used talcum powder.  Smiley Wink

@ceekay

Valued Contributor

Thanks @lolakimono !!  One of my favorite books from childhood and I still think of it when dusting, drawing the curtains, making the bed...  Smiley LOL