Respected Contributor

Re: How do you decorate after Christmas?

After packing away the Christmas decorations....I like to clean then leave everything bare for a couple of days. This gives me a chance to form new ideas in my head and then I start with my dining room centerpiece.

I love this time as it gives me a whole new house. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

You can leave many of your red and white things - e.g. table runners and placemats - because they're also good for Valentine's Day.

Super Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@sarahpanda-

I know what you mean-everything looks a little sad and bare!

I decorate with snowmen, a snowy owl or 2 ,candles or lanterns,, and pine, a wintry wreath or garland with pine and "snow" and somewhere put up some white lights on or in a cabinet or on a mantle or shelf-it makes a room look inviting, warm and cheery and will be comforting on those cold winter snowy nights.

Really everything and anything that looks wintery and not just Christmas can look so nice until we get to spring!

This is what I do also. I use blue with the white/silver and bare branches. I have some snowmen that sit on shelves. We have already stored the red, green, and gold of Christmas, and the new color scheme is soft and quiet like winter snow. I love the change. Eventually the winter decor will move into spring. I love those decorations and another big change to enjoy.

tea

Trusted Contributor

Well, I always seem to re arrange things and actually purge some old things and put up some new things that I received over the holidays.  I love it when its all clean ...not sad for me...I love the clean feeling after.  N Years day is when I take it all down. It like a breath of fresh air . 

Esteemed Contributor

We tend to leave our decorations out for awhile.   It is so much work to do, why not enjoy it longer?    We live way out in the woods so the outside doesn't have much.  If it was up to my husband he would just leave the tree up all year LOL.   Guess that's because he has the daunting job of wrestling with our 10 foot tree........I do however have a limit and it is all put away by MLK day!!    I also leave out my snowy owls and some wintry candle lanterns.   A few snowmen too and snowflake ornaments I hang on my windows.   You have to make the best of the season!  Cheers to all and a happy new year.

Super Contributor

I would just be happy if I could remember where I stashed all the items from the mantel!  I’d put the same things back in place.

Honored Contributor

I don't decorate 'seasonally' other than a few fall/harvest things and Christmas, so once the Christmas stuff is taken down, sometime after Epiphany, then I just revert to rotating the decorative items I tend to use throughout most of the year. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I put back all my usual decor.

I won't do anything until I put my Spring wreath on the front door.  

Esteemed Contributor

I will leave up "winter" decorations like snowmen, sleighs, reindeer etc... until I have the urge to pull out some spring items.

Honored Contributor

Decorate after Christmas?  When we take down the Christmas decorations after Jan. 6th, we are left with our non-holiday things.  There is no special post Christmas decorating.  Red is the accent color in our home; so, I do leave a few of the red items up throughout the winter and I replace them with my spring/summer things but that happens in April.