Honored Contributor

Re: How do you choose a paint color?

Good Luck!

I wanted the walls in the bedroom to be a cream color. After reviewing so many swatches of so many different colors. I thought I picked the perfect color. Had the color blended and painted the room. Don't know how but I ended up with yellow walls. Not what I wanted - the bedspread and curtains were all cream colored with blue. 

My BIL hurt his arm, he was helping us paint the bedroom and had to go to the hospital. So I was not about to insist that the room be repainted. The first coat caused enough trouble. So I am stuck with yellow walls. UGH!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Hello Lovelies.Smiley Happy  

Some of you may remember I taught Interior Design.  

Before choosing the color, remember a room full of the color will make it appear a shade darker than that tiny chip.

If you decorate with a lot of color, I'd suggest an egg shell like Sherwin Williams Dover White.  It makes a soft creamy white background for your furniture and wall art.

If you use a gray white, the rooms will seem colder.

@ECBG wrote:

Hello Lovelies.Smiley Happy  

Some of you may remember I taught Interior Design.  

Before choosing the color, remember a room full of the color will make it appear a shade darker than that tiny chip.

If you decorate with a lot of color, I'd suggest an egg shell like Sherwin Williams Dover White.  It makes a soft creamy white background for your furniture and wall art.

If you use a gray white, the rooms will seem colder.

Thank you for that @ECBG. Nice to know.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

We are having our family room painted and I don't want to make a wrong choice. I was thinking of picking out three colors and buying the samples and actually putting them on the wall. Just wondering if anyone had a better idea? 

I purchased these 12x12 squares (could of been a little bigger than that) and the samples of the paint I liked and painted the squares and put them on the wall.  There's a small adhesive on the back.  Got them at Sherwin Williams.  I'm sure they can be found at all paint stores.

Honored Contributor

Before I picked out my paint, I bought samples from HD and painted a swatch on the walls. Same with built in bookshelves and mantle. 

I feel we made the right choices.

Honored Contributor

Some paint colors look different in various light. I once painted my walls a color I thought was rose beige and it looked very nice with my furniture during the day , but the rose really came out in lamplight and my whole LR/DR/ hall/entry turned rose pink. We painted over that rather quickly.

Trusted Contributor

I can't give much more advice than you've received from the above posters : )

But, I would like to say that I think the Sherwin Williams paint commercials using the paint shade cards put together to create animals is brilliant and so creative.  I love these ads as they show such imagination...............................

Stellar job to the person/team that came up with these ~ great marketing Heart

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

We are having our family room painted and I don't want to make a wrong choice. I was thinking of picking out three colors and buying the samples and actually putting them on the wall. Just wondering if anyone had a better idea? 

I purchased these 12x12 squares (could of been a little bigger than that) and the samples of the paint I liked and painted the squares and put them on the wall.  There's a small adhesive on the back.  Got them at Sherwin Williams.  I'm sure they can be found at all paint stores.

@ScrapHappy Thank you, didn't know about this.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Good Luck!

I wanted the walls in the bedroom to be a cream color. After reviewing so many swatches of so many different colors. I thought I picked the perfect color. Had the color blended and painted the room. Don't know how but I ended up with yellow walls. Not what I wanted - the bedspread and curtains were all cream colored with blue. 

My BIL hurt his arm, he was helping us paint the bedroom and had to go to the hospital. So I was not about to insist that the room be repainted. The first coat caused enough trouble. So I am stuck with yellow walls. UGH!

@drizzellla so sorry to hear about your BIL's arm. Could you change the bedspread and curtains (I know $$) and make it work?

Honored Contributor

@panda1234-

I think that is such a good idea!

I just recently had my room painted and it was so hard to decide with all the paint chip little things.

Plus the pictures of the rooms on the website did not look like the chips, nor what actually ended up on my wall!

So I do think your idea of putting the samples on the wall are the only way to tell what it will really look like. Each room has different light and will show differently.

If you have an idea in your mind what color you want it, you can go from there in choosing several color chips at the store; then ask for paint samples.

I did not end up liking my paint but everyone else loved it who saw it. But after a few months, I do like it, so give yourself time before you might decide to change it again.

I hope you end up really liking your new color!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irish1210@151949@OKPrincess@ScrapHappy@happycat

Thank you for all of the good information and ideas. Seems like Sherwin Williams is a favorite on the forum, we will go with that. I do have an open floor plan so I am restricted a little. Wish me luck.