Respected Contributor

How do you choose a paint color?

We are having our family room painted and I don't want to make a wrong choice. I was thinking of picking out three colors and buying the samples and actually putting them on the wall. Just wondering if anyone had a better idea? 

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you choose a paint color?

Are you talking about choosing between colors like blue vs. green vs yellow?

Or shades of color.

I found a lot of help looking on the Behr website.

There are many visual aids.

There's one room painted with different colors to see a comparison

It will help you narrow it down.

You also can take a picture of your room to preview colors.

I had all my paint mixed at Walmart.

If you have one of those  paint chips, you can get Walmart to match it at about half the price.

Honored Contributor

If it's a room on it's own, that you're not seeing from another room (as in an open floor plan), then you have a lot more freedom.

I would start with whether you want warm or cool tones.  Then bold or neutral.  Are you buying new furniture or keeping your existing furniture?

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Anytime we painyed...the color i picked always looked different on the wall than in the can or chip......

I remember years ago buying "antique white" for the bedroom and when one wall was painted...it looked grey.......went back and bought another color...

Honored Contributor

True.

They sell small bottles now in some lines, so you can actually paint part of a wall and see how it looks when it dries.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

When we bought our house 2 years ago, it was a new construction and all of the walls in the house were yellowish --  So, I had to completely start from scratch and pick paint colors for every single room in the house.  It seemed like a daunting task, but I actually enjoyed it very much!

The first thing I did was think about my decorating style and how I wanted each room to look/feel.  I narrowed it down to color palettes (grays, neutrals, and a spa green for the playroom!).  I also thought about how each room would look as they flowed into the other.

Are you changing up your furniture/decor?  If not, choose a color range that will go with what you currently have.  Pick 3 shades in that range and then put them by your windows.  Make sure to look at the colors in daylight and evening.  They can look very different.

If you ARE changing your decor, think about the coloring of your new things and pick a paint color range that will go with that.

I ended up doing 2 shades in most rooms.  For example, I did gray paint in my dining room.  I did a light gray on 3 walls and then a bit of a darker gray on the remaining wall.  I forget the rule, but the painter told us it is something like, the lighter color goes around the window and the darker color goes on the wall opposite the window (so it looks lighter than it is).  I did this with my dining room, living room, and all bedrooms.  It came out beautifully!  So, if you're torn between two colors (as long as they aren't drastic from one another), you can have the best of both worlds!

Have fun!

Honored Contributor

Getting the color right is something I have always struggled with, and at least half the time, I'm not happy with the end result.

And all this from someone who just sticks in the white, cream, ivory world when choosing paints most of the time.

And the last painting I did, I chose a satin. I had used a satin one other time, on all our closet doors as I replaced them. Couldn't remember the brand or color, but the satin look and feel (and cleaning ability) was perfect. 

So I chose a color (basically white) in satin, painted like 9 interior doors and when done, was really not happy. It is much more dull than the satin I used before, and more on the white side than I wanted. The only good is that the doors are finally painted after being installed a couple of years ago, and the lighter shade does keep the long dark hallway upstairs as light and bright as possible. 

I hate painting. I hate getting the color right, I hate the prep work, and I'm not a real fan of the actual act of painting. I do like the clean new look when finished.....if I get the color right.

Trusted Contributor

It takes me forever to pick a paint color!  I start with the color family (greens, neutrals, etc), then I bring home paint chips.   When I narrow them down to two or three, I buy samples and paint the wall.  It's amazing how different the colors look over the course of  the day due to the light (natural and artificial).  I just had my living room/dining area painted Saturday and I'm vey happy with it.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@panda1234...I think that is the best idea...We use Sherwin Williams paint and their sample cans are/were $5.00 (at least that is what I paid a year ago).  It give you a great idea of how the paint looks on the wall.  I love paint, it can totally change the room.

Honored Contributor

Hello Lovelies.Smiley Happy  

Some of you may remember I taught Interior Design.  

Before choosing the color, remember a room full of the color will make it appear a shade darker than that tiny chip.

If you decorate with a lot of color, I'd suggest an egg shell like Sherwin Williams Dover White.  It makes a soft creamy white background for your furniture and wall art.

If you use a gray white, the rooms will seem colder.