Super Contributor

Re: How do you choose a paint color?

I simply chose a color I love and that makes me happy to look at, even if it's not someone else's idea of what is "appropriate".  I can tell you the times I've really taken a chance with color, I have been thrilled every single time.  I am a perfectionist and always do my own painting.  I can tell you my recommendation is NOT to use Behr paint.  I know that brand is at the top of most recommended lists, but in my experience it's an awful paint.  I've used it twice for big paint jobs (there were a few years between the first and second times I used it, and I thought I would give it another chance since it usually is rated so high) and it doesn't cover the way they claim, and sometimes gets a "chalky" finish after it's dry and cured.  And I ALWAYS prep the walls, prime, etc. - I never skip a step and am meticulous. Never will use it again.

But for color - it's your home, go with what you love. You can't make a "wrong" choice by doing that.

Respected Contributor

For an entire room or just say even a wall for an accent color - I do the poster board and sample paint thing, I buy the poster boards like at Target and the smallest size in the paint available - some offer sample size, some do not - just buy the smallest possible. Do both sides when deciding between colors, double duty, two colors, one poster board. Once deciding on a color, you can mix that right in with the gallon of same finish and color.

The poster board is a good size to painters tape to the wall and move around from wall to wall. *Or, even better, paint a couple and tape them up on different sides of the room.

Outdoor light changes constantly thu out the day - therefore indoor color varies at different times also. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

When in doubt go neutral.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

When in doubt go neutral.

@BeccaLou Oh, but there are so many neutrals today. The paint store has a color consultant that I am going to use. There are just too many choices out there.

Respected Contributor

Yep that's using your noodle. Best idea yet.But I always liked beige's and browns, so much you can do with those colors.