Valued Contributor

Re: How do you all feel about painted cabinets?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Our friends had their cabinets painted by professionals -they took them down and away to their shop - they said if you don't get them perfectly clean your paint won't last. They chemically treated & then powerwashed them. Then painted them. Reinstalled them and reset the granite counters. They are beautiful. I don't know what it cost but it was much less than buying new.

@151949

What kind of company would I call to do this kind of work?  Thank you.

Painters.

@CaliKat. Cabinet Refinishing and refacing.

@proudlyfromNJ - Thank you! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Love distressed.  Not a fan of flat paint.

Image result for antiqued kitchen cabinets photos

IMO - the kitchen will become distressed soon enough witrh use. I wouldn't want to artifically start it out that way.

Honored Contributor

I prefer them stained (wood). If you are going to paint them, they have to be done right. (no streaking etc.)

Valued Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Be careful of too much color in items that can't be easily changed.  They get "old" fast because of the intensity.

I'll never forget when one of our son's mothers said "Oh!  I did the craziest thing!  I just had the whole house carpeted in teal!  I just love that color!!!!!".

Unfortunately, it didn't take long before it was "running her out of the house".

You're not in Utah, by chance, are you?

LOL!  that statement had me scratching my head - huh??

Honored Contributor

We had our kitchen cabinets painted in Benjamin Moore's "Baby Fawn",  which incidentally is identical to the same company's historical color "Edgecomb Gray".

You can get any of the B. Moore paints made up in a formula called "Cabinet Coat", which is supposed to be superior to the regular and will stay on heavy-wear items like cabinets.  It had special instructions for putting on the paint.  Unfortunately, our happy-go-lucky painters ignored them entirely, and didn't do whatever special prep that Cabinet Coat calls for.  Therefore, two summers later, we already have a little bit of light cracking and crazing--- rats!  We have our own "distressing" going on.

BUT, the one good thing is we love this color in our east and north facing kitchen.  It is a pale putty color which is warm in some lights, and more gray in others.  I would call it a warm French very light gray, but with a slight chameleon quality.

Our kitchen is now much lighter and airier-feeling, so, mishaps aside, I like painted cabinets.

Honored Contributor

I kind of like the idea of painting the cabinets white and the island a color or top cabinets one color and bottom ones different. Something to make it more interesting. 

Honored Contributor

In today's newer homes, the builders are taking short cuts on the material used.  They purchase cheaper stock cabinets and paint them to make up for the poor quality wood.

An older home with painted cabinets is fine and custom made cabinets painted to order are fine also, but I would be very cautious and want to know what's under all of that paint.  It's possible that the cabinets are some sort of fiberboard, with cheap wooden doors or soft pine wood.

They look nice when they are new, but don't hold up very well.  I prefer cherry or maple cabinets.

Esteemed Contributor

Painted cabinets never went out. Just depended on the color you painted them. I remember in the late 80s early 90s that dusty blue being so popular. I wasn't crazy about that but just because I am not crazy about dusty blue but I remember a lot of my friends painting their cabinets that color. 

While I love dark wood like cherry, mahogany, etc... I do not care for that in  kitchens at all. I like lighter and brighter colors in kitchen.  I also don't care for light or medium colors of wood anywhere in the house. I can remember moving into a house and I took down all the cabinets, cleaned them up, sanded and primed them and painted them white. They were gorgeous. On several of the fronts, I put in glass fronts just like these. This is when I was really into DIY because I didn't have money to pay someone else to do it.

A Classic and Timeless White Kitchen  by Dear Lillie...criss cross in the window next to stove

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I'm open to lots of possibilities and seldom say "never."  Not to be a broken record, but we recently moved.  In this house I have white cabinets on the perimeter, and a smoke stained maple island.  I am enjoying this look very much as I had been wanting white cabinets for a while.

However, in my old house I had medium stained cherry cabinets and they were beautiful.  The new owners had them professionally painted white.  And although I totally understand their wanting to make the kitchen their own, I think they killed my beautiful cabinets (I have seen them in person.)  I oohed and ahhhed over them like I was supposed to, but they look awful.  They don't go with the house at all, and they make the kitchen floor-- which wasn't a great color ceramic tile-- stand out worse.

So what I'm getting at is that cabinet color and finish depends on the house, IMO.  It also depends on what you're choosing for counter tops, floors, and appliances.  It depends on the size and style of the room, and the overall look you are trying to achieve.  It's just a small part of the entire composition of your home.

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention, I would not care in the least what the trend is.