Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you all feel about painted cabinets?

Mine are cream. Love it. First painted cabinets. Modern farmhouse look for us with black hardware and black galaxy print granite countertop. Black sink. Dark, stainless appliances. Wood floors. Subway/glass tiles for backsplash. My style is more polished casual, but our modern farmhouse kitchen is welcoming.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I had mine painted about ten years ago and still love them.  I updated the hardware at the same time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer them. I like some very nice wood tone cabinets, but unless they're particuarly stellar, I don't want all that wood. I prefer to see a bit more color in the kitchen. Mine are currently painted a soft grey and look great. I picked out nice new hardware for them and they're such an improvement over the wood tone they used to be and, to me, aren't at all dated. The wood tone was dated, as so many of them are, since the popularity of various woods ebbs and flows.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have painted cabinets in my summer kitchen, they are called linen mocha which is basically creamy white with a mocha color in the seams if that makes sense. I love the look and style of them, the counter tops are granite looking in black, white, grey and brown. I like painted furniture too.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cabinets are thirty years old.  I thought I would have to paint them but I found a company that made my cabinets look like new. They came out, cleaned, stained and polyurethaned the kitchen and bathroom cabinets. I would recommend them highly. They saved me the cost of refacing cabinets.  Kitchen Tune Up, is the name of the company and they are nation wide.  We saw them at our local home and garden show.

Honored Contributor

This is my dream kitchen. 

images.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My house was built in 1972.   The kitchen cabinets were in pretty good shape, average quality but real wood.   I had to paint them.   The kitchen is small and depressing with the wood.   Plus the wood really needed something.   A very good cleaning and possibly re-stained.    I decided on white paint.

We took the doors down and I scrubbed them to death with a brillo pad.

Moved the doors to the garage, primed them and painted them.  Obviously we also cleaned & painted the cabinet bases but we didn't take them out.

We couldn't believe what a difference.   I cleaned up the original hardware.  I used a brass cleaning paste and a toothbrush on the handles and hinges.

The vanity in the main bathroom was not in as good a shape.   Had to be sanded.   Primed and painted a very pale greenish-blue.  White would have been too white with the sink, toilet and tub/shower.   The bathroom is small also.

I would love to have new everything but that may not happen in my lifetime.  I don't regret painting.

Honored Contributor

I prefer wood but understand the need/want to paint.  My Mom and Dad moved into a house that had painted cabinets and they were horribly chipped where you'd handle the cabinets/drawers the most.  They had them professionally stripped and lo and behold underneath the paint was the most gorgeous PINE! The company doing the work stripped, cleaned, and sealed the cabinets and they were her home's showcase. Everyone who came into the house mentioned those cabinets....they were gorgeous.

I love the look of wood....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@151949  LOVE THEM!!!  Love our's painted for sure.  We had varnished plain wood kitchen cupboards and decided to paint all of them -- all 34 of them!  This happened about 8-10 yrs ago with a kitchen paint job.  What a difference they make very much lightened up the space.  Would not go back to wood again.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I hear you on that refacing of your kit cabinets.  DH & I had in that same company perhaps (called Kitchen Saver).  First, our house is very old, we have 34 kitchen cupboards that are much taller than today's apparent standard of 36" high.  The sales rep flipped when he saw how much cupboard space we have.  He was very honest and said because of the size, they wouldn't be able to do the job, instead they'd have to remove and install new ones.  He advised totally against it, keep what you have, these are great. 

And the price was enough to rip out the entire kitchen and start over - no kidding!

I appreciated his honesty.