Honored Contributor

Re: How do you all feel about painted cabinets?

[ Edited ]

We recently spruced up our downstairs bathroom.  I was looking to do it for as little money as possible, so while a new vanity would have been nice we decided to paint the cabinet and only replace the sink.  I LOVE how it came out.  I also painted the medicine cabinet and wall cabinet to match.  If/when I want to change things up again, I can always paint a different color.

My kitchen has medium oak stained cabinets, which have darkened with age.  The ones around the stove have darkened the most, along with the finish being worn off in a few spots, which I think is from heat, cooking fumes, steam, or any combination thereof.  I like the look of painted kitchen cabinets too, and would really like to paint mine.  The one thing that's holding me back is that I wonder how the paint would hold up in those areas.  We had someone come in to give a quote on refacing everything and it was beyond ridiculous.  I could buy all new cabinets for less!

Honored Contributor

We have seen model homes with cabinets in a cadet blue and a medium grey - I loved them both.It has a lot to do with things like the backsplash - and countertops how well the painted cabinets sell. The one we saw that was the cadet blue had light grey floors and backsplash and a marble countertop that was grey marble. GORGEOUS. The one with the grey cabinets had the same backsplash , driftwood grey floors and navy blue guartz counters. It was stunning.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We have seen model homes with cabinets in a cadet blue and a medium grey - I loved them both.It has a lot to do with things like the backsplash - and countertops how well the painted cabinets sell. The one we saw that was the cadet blue had light grey floors and backsplash and a marble countertop that was grey marble. GORGEOUS. The one with the grey cabinets had the same backsplash , driftwood grey floors and navy blue guartz counters. It was stunning.

Yep!  If I were to paint, I have a grey color all picked out.  

Respected Contributor

They're swell.

Honored Contributor

Our friends had their cabinets painted by professionals -they took them down and away to their shop - they said if you don't get them perfectly clean your paint won't last. They chemically treated & then powerwashed them. Then painted them. Reinstalled them and reset the granite counters. They are beautiful. I don't know what it cost but it was much less than buying new.

Honored Contributor

I love painted cabinets!  It's such a fun way to brighten up a kitchen. I think it will look nice @151949

Trusted Contributor

White cabinets !  They open up a kitchen-make it appear larger, cleaner.  I love dark wood, any wood for that matter, so it is not because I don't like stained wood. 

Regular Contributor

I love them. 

Respected Contributor

Works for a very bright, sunlit kitchen.  My friend has these cabinets.

Picture of Velia Laccata - Italian Kitchen Cabinets

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think many of them are beautiful.  From white to antiqued to soft blue to black.  Depends on the kitchen and the style.

I think unless you have very beautiful and high quality wood that has a great finish, it's a good idea.

But when they go out, they will go OUT.  Then you'll be in trouble because it would be very difficult to get back to wood.  Anything trendy like that can take a sharp reversal.  That worries me.