Honored Contributor

How do you all feel about painted cabinets?

I think they are becoming a real trend now. Painted kitchen cabinets instead of wood. IF we do decide to move , this is something I think I'd like in my new house. I was just looking online at pictures of painted cabinets and saw a very pretty, sunny kitchen with soft yellow cabinets and black granite counters. LOVELY.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you all feel about painted cabinets?

Ours will be maple cabinets painted white. I don't think I would like them painted a actual color. I seen some gray or blue. Just seems it would start looking outdated fast.

Honored Contributor

Everything old is new again.

Growing up, most people had old kitchen cabinets, and the only change made was painting them a different color. 

Now many people in our area are painting over the dark 1970's kitchen cabinets, as well as the 80's/90's oak, and having great results for little money. 

I'm liking an off white distressed looking kitchen cabinet style that I'm seeing in the magazines and online in the past couple of years.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a trend, so I'm not a big fan unless the cabinets are old and very well built. In that case, bring on the paint!

If you like it- go for it. It's just that cabinets are SO expensive. Much easier and less $ to change out the floor, counters and/or backsplash.

Valued Contributor

I think whenever you see photos of white or off white kitchen cabinets most of them are painted wood.  I think it can look nice especially if the painting is done at the factory where they  spray paint and protect all the surfaces with machines to make everything come out smooth and even.

Honored Contributor

No. I prefer the look of wood, not laminate or paint. I had some cabinets doors and drawer faces that were dark mahogany veneer and replaced them with solid wood. I also updated all the hardware to make them look fresh.

Honored Contributor

Our friend bought a lovely home she absolutely adored but the kitchen and bathrooms were pink. They had the tub & shower reglazed white and it looks very nice - replaced the pink toilet and sink with white and a painted green vanity cabinet. Very pretty. The kitchen cabinets they painted ivory. They had them actually removed ,painted by a professional and rehung. They could not afford new granite so they reused the pink - it's mostly tans & greys with some pink. Anyway - I love the ivory painted cabinets.

Honored Contributor

I prefer stained cabinets.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our friend bought a lovely home she absolutely adored but the kitchen and bathrooms were pink. They had the tub & shower reglazed white and it looks very nice - replaced the pink toilet and sink with white and a painted green vanity cabinet. Very pretty. The kitchen cabinets they painted ivory. They had them actually removed ,painted by a professional and rehung. They could not afford new granite so they reused the pink - it's mostly tans & greys with some pink. Anyway - I love the ivory painted cabinets.

I don't remember where I saw it, but the company that makes contact paper makes something similar to put on counters to spruce them up.  Don't like it, it peels off.  Supposedly very durable.  Sounded interesting.

Respected Contributor

When we remodeled our kitchen four years ago, I chose solid maple cabinets and had them painted white.  I absolutely love them and despite what you would think, they are extremely easy to care for and keep clean.