Valued Contributor

Re: How do I protect my brand new toilet bowls from hard water stains?

First of all flush the toilet often.  Secondly, use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner in the brown bottle.  Pour alot in and let it soak all day then scrub.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@house_cathousehold items are the best instead of using chemicals and breathing the fumes.  

Here we go:

You will need Vinegar (3 cups) and Baking Soda (2 boxes)

Add one cup of Vinegar to the bowl and swish around w/brush

Let stand one minute

Add 1 cup Baking Soda followed by 1 to 2 cups Vinegar.  Swish around all the sides w/brush.

Let stand for a while.  I would say 5 to 10 minutes depending on stains.

Then scrub away remaining stains w/brush.

You can also use Vinegar and Baking Soda to clean sink drains. If you are interested just search on Internet.  Too much to type.  Good luck.  HeartCat Very Happy

@Katcat1  The Vinegar & Baking Soda always works best for me too and stays cleaner for a longer period of time.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Allegheny

That's good to know, thank you.

My downstairs powder room is right off the kitchen. When we had the kitchen remodeled we changed the cabinet and counter in the powder room to match - so it has a white cabinet with a dark gray counter top. While I have no problem in the kitchen, I was constantly dealing with hard water drips on the gray counter in the powder room.  Someone told me to use RainX on the counter when I do my weekly cleaning. I don't use the RainX every week, but it does help.

I've often wondered if it's okay to use RainX on the clear frameless shower doors.  Anyone ever do that?