Regular Contributor

How do I prevent staining on towels?

When I wash my towels there is sometimes an orange stain left behind on some of them. I don't use any products with benzol peroxide and I don't use bleach in my laundry detergent so I don't know what is causing this. Any solutions for this? TIA ladies!

Honored Contributor

Re: How do I prevent staining on towels?

Buy only dark colored towels and washcloths, that is what I do, 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Lots of good info on the Internet.  Too much to copy and pasdt here!  Check it out!

Honored Contributor

That shouldn't be happening.  How long has this been going on?

Do you have a well or get city water.  

Do you see any staining in your sinks and toilet?  Look in the tank to see if there is any residue there.

My water company had a problem with rust in the pipes and I experienced staining white towels. 

You can buy home tests for detecting iron in your water.  Even if you don't have it, you might want to call your water company.

Super Contributor

This happens to us all the time!

I researched with no success.

Changed detergant.

Had water tested.

No solution.

I have had many towels ruined and would love to hear if anyone has solved this.

Thanks

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only buy white bath towels . Every month or so I will wash them and add some Clorox to the wash...only takes a little and it removes stains and brightens the towels. If your towels are different colors then it is hard to know what the fix may be. We have iron in our water and it does show up eventually on my showernfloor tile and some times towels. I have also used OxyClean and add it to the wash along with the detergent. I think it works better than Clorox sometimes.

Contributor

I can't help with prevention  but use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. I use a 1:1 ratio and it works well

Honored Contributor

Do you have well water?

Honored Contributor

You could have too much iron in your water.  Call someone to check.  You might need a water filter made for high iron deposits.

I see this type of water when we travel by RV.  Most campgrounds are on well water.  I will not wash laundry or my hair in this type of water.  I buy bottled water for hair washing and we do have a water filter in our RV.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar   If the "stains" are happening due to laundering, then it might be the detergent. I used to follow the directions on my last washer and pour liquid detergent in after the clothes were in & before the water filled ... that resulted in my colored cotton towels getting marks (tan/rust colored marks or sometimes faded marks) where the color came out. The same happened with colored cotton t-shirts, & some cotton sheets.

I had an HE top-loading washer then and changed my laundering process: I filled the washer with water, added detergent, let it agitate briefly, and added the laundry last. I never had a problem with those "stains" or marks again.

I have a new front-load washer in my new house. I can't interrupt its cycle. So, I pour the detergent mostly on white towels in light loads and polyester dark pieces in dark loads that I know won't get affected. The washer then covers everything with water, the detergent get mixed, & the wash cycle goes fine.