Super Contributor

How are the Harry Slatkin candles? Better than YC?

Watching the Slatkin storybook candle tin presentation -- I can't see myself paying $20 for five candles but wondering how they compare to Yankee? 

I have been disappointed with Yankee the last year or so -- it seems they are skimping on the oils now?  Someone said they are owned by a big conglomerate these days.  Currently burning YC sparkling cinnamon and I can barely smell it compared to past years when it would permeate the entire house. 

Long story short, looking for an alternative brand to try.   Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Re: How are the Harry Slatkin candles? Better than YC?

I bought the set of 3 pumpkins from his line ,very disappointed ,speaking of Yankee candles ,they are every where now ,saw them at a discount store called the Christmas tree store.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LeaLeanderwrote:

Watching the Slatkin storybook candle tin presentation -- I can't see myself paying $20 for five candles but wondering how they compare to Yankee? 

I have been disappointed with Yankee the last year or so -- it seems they are skimping on the oils now?  Someone said they are owned by a big conglomerate these days.  Currently burning YC sparkling cinnamon and I can barely smell it compared to past years when it would permeate the entire house. 

Long story short, looking for an alternative brand to try.  Thanks!!

@LeaLeander~ I burn Cheerful Giver candles and can say they have a great throw. 

Respected Contributor

The love of any candle brand is a relative thing in my opinion.

I love Slatkin but I also love Yankee.....I love candles period. Smiley Tongue

I will say the two Slatkin candles I purchased in the Fall are too strong for me.....I can only burn them for limited periods. Guess I am more sensitive than I used to be. 

Honored Contributor

For those that may not know it (it is old news, but sometimes we miss things! lol), and that love the OLD Yankee candle scent, strength and performance (I'm talking the Yankee of decades ago), Kringle Candle Company is owned by the son of the original creator of Yankee.

I read that the father also is in the business. I've purchased a number of their candles, and they have a much better throw, cleaner burn, and true and clean scents than most of what is out there today. 

I've been pleased with everything I've tried from this company.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@LeaLeander wrote:

Long story short, looking for an alternative brand to try.   Thanks!!

@LeaLeander

I saw that great price yesterday, and the lower shipping, and thought they would make pretty nice gifts, but the reviews are terrible on this particular item. 

Such a shame because the One Day Only price was under $20 and I think $3 shipping, which isn't bad for something with the tin and the little candles. 

I was afraid to take the risk with soooo many bad reviews, I mean sooo many! Yet today they are back up over $30 and $5.50 shipping. 

If they are that bad, you think they'd just leave them marked down to get rid of them. 

My mom has bought some of the Slatkin since he came back to Q and I'm not impressed with anything she has received. 

Trusted Contributor

I purchased 3 sets of the 3-wick candles including 1 set of the Deck the Halls/Trim the Tree combo and 2 sets of "Winter Fireside/Frozen Balsam.  I started burning the Deck the Halls candle two nights ago, and last night I started burning the Trim the Tree one.  It took about 3 hours to get a full wax pool on each of them, and I'd give them about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of their throw.  The Deck the Halls candle has a basic pine scent.  There's nothing special or multi-layered about it.  The Trim the Tree candle smells like mulled spices and has a sweetness to it.  It's nothing special.  I'm looking forward to burning the Winter FIreside and Frozen Balsam ones, as they are more of my taste.  So far, I wouldn't tell anyone to go out of their way to purchase these candles.  I would stick to what you know and like, because so far, these are just average in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Slatkin doesn't compare to YC by a long shot.  Will never purchase from this line.  Waste of money.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

If you burn the Slatkin 3-wicks together in the set they came in, they really do smell better than burning them one at a time.  I'm currently burning both Deck the Halls and Trim the Tree and they smell so much nicer than when I tested them individually.  There is harmony among the various notes and the overall result is a more high-end, multi-layered fragrance.  This is the kind of Slatkin experience I was expecting.

Respected Contributor

Hands down, for me Harry Slatkin still rules!  I go waaaay back in the day with him at BBW & loving his QVC items then and now!  Scents are too personal to even be objective enough to claim what would dictate what you would like or my preferences.