Regular Contributor

Re: How Useful Is Your Robot Vacuum Cleaner?

I have the Shark robot vacuum.  I use it a couple times a week and it definitely picks up the dust and dog hair.  I have the one that automatically docks and empties the contents.  I'm glad I bought it, I find it very useful.  I have tile and rugs in my house.  Seems to work on all of it.  Mine goes where it can fit.  

Honored Contributor

OK.  I'm going to try the Roomba i6+ from Amazon because I can try it and if I don't like it, I can send it back and try something else.  Amazon is good about that.

I was really torn between getting a simpler one, but was swayed by the dock where it empties the dirt -- now if that isn't lazy!  Woman Embarassed

I sure appreciate the advice and will report back--so any other input is welcome here too, it will help me and many others I'm sure!  

Respected Contributor

I think you will love it, Sooner.  I've had mine for a few years and use it mainly when I'm too tired to push the upright around which is silly.  I really should let it do it's job more often as it does a very good job.  

It won't get around furniture as well as you can with another style of vacuum where there are nooks and crannies, legs, and low furniture that the robot won't fit under but no vacuum is perfect, perfection being over-rated.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I'll be the one dissenting vote.  Didn't care for it. Too noisy and scared the cats.  Too much time trying to dig the cat hair out of it.  They may have fixed that problem, but there actually used to be an article on the net called Where all the cat hair goes that gave instructions on how to take the thing apart to get at all the cat hair hiding spots.  

The Scooba, which was the wet version often got caught on the toe railing of the cabinets and it left the floor too wet. Plus, I really needed to move the kitchen chairs to another room if I wanted it to get under the kitchen table.  Just too many obstacles.  I prefer a steam cleaner for my kitchen/bath floors. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a Shark ION without the auto-empty feature. I use it about 2-3 times per week and am amazed how much dust and dirt it picks up! I still prefer to use my upright vacuum for the bedroom carpets, but the Shark does ok there for general upkeep and maintenance. I can adjust the suction level. Had to get used to the clunking sound of it bumping against furniture, baseboards, etc. but there is no damage.

I have to periodically take apart the wheels and brush rotator to clean them of debris or hair that builds up, but it doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes. "Hazel" will become finicky and I know that it's time for a little maintenance.

My Shark didn't come with the barrier strips you put down to keep it away from certain rooms, etc. I do move a few chairs and one occasional table prior to her scheduled cleaning. Speaking of schedule: the app is convenient BUT flaky.

"Hazel" runs for about 2-1/2 hours each time and usually returns to the dock with about 30% remaining. I've been pleased with the purchase.

Contributor

I love my MRoborock S5 so much I ordered the S5 Max so I have one on each floor.  Maps out your floor plan first ime it vacuums. After that you can limit vacuum to one room or zone cleaning. Has no go zones that can be set. Maps and control available on my phone and tablets for auto use. Both have the mop feature which I find helpful but not as good as mopping yourself, although it does get quite a bit of dirt off the floor. It does have feature where you can turn mop off for certain areas such as throw rugs.  Only thing now is for it to empty itself automatically.  I know Roborock is introducing this feature soon.  I wouldn't trade these for anything. My hardwood floors look and feel so good after cleaning.  I do not have any carpet only hardwood and tile and I have 2 cats that produce copius amounts o hair and the robot gets up all the hair even the hair that accumultes around the felt pads on dining room chairs and kitchen barstools which was such a pain to remove when using vacuum cleaner.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'll be the one dissenting vote.  Didn't care for it. Too noisy and scared the cats.  Too much time trying to dig the cat hair out of it.  They may have fixed that problem, but there actually used to be an article on the net called Where all the cat hair goes that gave instructions on how to take the thing apart to get at all the cat hair hiding spots.  

The Scooba, which was the wet version often got caught on the toe railing of the cabinets and it left the floor too wet. Plus, I really needed to move the kitchen chairs to another room if I wanted it to get under the kitchen table.  Just too many obstacles.  I prefer a steam cleaner for my kitchen/bath floors. 

My cats are afraid of everything, so they stay away from the Roomba, but the vacuum cleaner (and steam mop) scare them long after I'm done.  It's ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

@ladychas yay! Another roborock fan! Smiley Happy. Aren't they just the best?

Honored Contributor

I'd been considering this model but haven't quite made up my mind.

Bee bees cat costume GIF on GIFER - by Dalasius

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

I'm on a budget, so I bought a Eufy on Amazon for $175 which is usually $250. I just thought I would give it a try because with a dog and two cats, I'm constantly fighting the battle of the Fuzz...

Well I'm totally amazed at how much I love my Eufy! I use it every day. I love how it goes under and around everything, even the bed. I does a marvelous job on the baseboards, which are always a pain for me to do well. And my carpet always looks like the maid was just here.

Love Love Love my little robo-Guy! Cat Wink