Honored Contributor

How To Lighten Up A Room When Your Furniture Is Dark

HOW TO VISUALLY LIGHTEN UP DARK LEATHER FURNITURE (With images ...

I think at one time or another some of us have had the problem of wanting to go in a different direction but we have furniture that is too dark or too light.   I found some pictures that help solve that dilemma.  This is one of them. 

Respected Contributor

Re: How To Lighten Up A Room When Your Furniture Is Dark

Very nice 👍 

Honored Contributor

Here's another one.
Honored Contributor

Last one!

Picture of MARKHAM SOFA

Esteemed Contributor

What furniture is dark in the last pic? 

The previous photos had dark sofas AND dark matching chairs. That was the mistake. 

My newer sofa is brown chenille. I do not want to baby it nor do I want to ban my small dog from it. The room has lots of windows/ light and the accent chair is a wood frame with cream upholstery.. Light walls (S-W China Doll) and white trim.

I have recently made the decision to have my bedroom furniture (5 pcs) painted a light gray. My new bed is a medium gray. My mix of  mid-80's dresser & chest, cherry night stand and demilune and thrifted TV stand need help, and buying all new furniture is both unneccessary and unrealistic for me. Everything looks too dark  against the dark walls. I may decide to paint the walls and trim later, but I will use the person who painted my kitchen cabinets last year to do the furniture. 

While I do not enjoy spending the $, I think it will make a big difference. Besides, it seems I can't go too long without having a project, LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Throw pillows work miracles and are an inexpensive way to get a very different look. As for the rooms, the first one is somewhat appealing, though I can't say I really like it and I don't care for the other two. I do like some of the elements in the third room, though.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OOPS, forgot to express my thoughts on this post .. I much prefer pic 3 (as if you all didn't know that!  Woman LOL)

In my younger years, I preferred country/early American style with dark wood. 

Later on, I've been gravitating towards medium/light shades.  I find the lightness is a better way to help during the winter darkness & a much more cheery feeling.  It's also a way to "open up" a smaller home, which ours is.  For me, I'd never go back to dark.

Whatever works for each of us ..   

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

OOPS, forgot to express my thoughts on this post .. I much prefer pic 3 (as if you all didn't know that!  Woman LOL)

In my younger years, I preferred country/early American style with dark wood. 

Later on, I've been gravitating towards medium/light shades.  I find the lightness is a better way to help during the winter darkness & a much more cheery feeling.  It's also a way to "open up" a smaller home, which ours is.  For me, I'd never go back to dark.

Whatever works for each of us ..   

I also like #3 the best.  I have this big 33'x21' great room with 14' pine cathedral ceiling.  Years ago we bought a dark leather chair and an expensive couch which is the most comfortable couch we have ever had and still looks like new. It has a cabin lodgy look to it. I don't want to pay the money for new or to have it recovered. We also have another leather chair in that room (also dark) and the couch has a lot of medium brown in it. I am trying to lighten it up by adding lighter color curtains and  lighter pillows to the couch.  My room is a mixture of Colonial, farmhouse, and traditional.  I'm looking for frugal ways to lighten it up.  It's just gotten a bit too "heavy" looking for me and for health reasons I have to have an oversized chair to sleep in much of the time.  I won't sacrifice comfort for looks so will probably not get it completely where I want it.  I have decided to do what I can do in changing some of the "little things" and, hopefully, I will like it better.  Like you, the darkness is coming in on me and a tad brighter would be nice. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

I'd love a large great room.

The simple, less expensive ways you mentioned to help brighten up your room make sense & I think you'll enjoy it.  If not, you won't be spending a fortune for the changes, so you can always go back to what it was.

Good luck with your changes & be happy.  And, wishing you blessings for your health.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

I like the first and third rooms you posted. I would change the coffee table in the first ond and add some pops of color to the third room. I’m not a fan of leather furniture so the second photo is not for me.