Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I am Moderate, although our cars are extremely clean and neat. My closets are just ok......My cabinets and my purse are pretty good.....Kitchen cabinets are neat, but not excessively neat. I don't organize my can good in alphabetical order or by tallest, etc.....

My sister is an extreme. You should see her closets and cabinets-unbelievable, but on the other hand her car is a mess most times.......Go figure?

I have a friend who is an extreme in everything.....Every week when she grocery shops, she takes everything out of her cabinets and refrigerator and wipes them all down, and throws out the old....Her can goods are organized alphabetically, and her whole house looks like a model home. I used to be so envious of her until I realized that her two kids were uncomfortable growing up because everything always had to be so neat, they never felt like they could just kick back and relax.......That's no way to live......You can be neat and clean, but yet still relaxed.....  

Doesn't sound like a fun way to live at all....I see most here are extremely neat and organized.  I am more of a moderate.  I like to kick back and enjoy.  Constant tidying up is not fun to me though the results can be pleasurable.  I hate messes but I prefer to live my life in moderation with most things. 

Honored Contributor

I'm between Moderately and Extremely.  My house is very organized except for closets and drawers.  My purse is organized, and so is my car. (Extremely.)  

I really need to work on my closets and drawers.  (Moderately.)  I have a small house without much closet space.  I really like to have a place for everything and everything in its place.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Somewhere between extremely and not at all depending on the day of the week.  I try but I just have too much stuff.  I just finished cleaning out our winter and summer closets and drawers.  De-cluttering never ends. 

Respected Contributor

Re: How Organized Are You?

[ Edited ]

I am more of the moderate type although my spices are alphabetic!  My purse has never been cluttered or messy, just the basics and I must be able to put my hand in and get what I want without fumbling. Been cleaning out my home over the last couple years after I retired; need and want less to handle.  Go through the house, drawers, closets, donate, then since I don't miss what I donated, go back through the house and do it again.  That method has been working for me, it feels great, it is easy, and I am cleaning out the house without missing what is gone!

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I am Moderate, although our cars are extremely clean and neat. My closets are just ok......My cabinets and my purse are pretty good.....Kitchen cabinets are neat, but not excessively neat. I don't organize my can good in alphabetical order or by tallest, etc.....

My sister is an extreme. You should see her closets and cabinets-unbelievable, but on the other hand her car is a mess most times.......Go figure?

I have a friend who is an extreme in everything.....Every week when she grocery shops, she takes everything out of her cabinets and refrigerator and wipes them all down, and throws out the old....Her can goods are organized alphabetically, and her whole house looks like a model home. I used to be so envious of her until I realized that her two kids were uncomfortable growing up because everything always had to be so neat, they never felt like they could just kick back and relax.......That's no way to live......You can be neat and clean, but yet still relaxed.....  

@CANDLEQUEEN That is very sad that your friend is that way.

I once heard my sister in law yell at her son because he left a "mess" on the kitchen table.  The table was perfectly clean, but there was a cup on it.  A cup does not make a mess.  This same sister in law had a fit because her other son did not pack his suitcase like she told him to.  He was old enough at the time to did it himself and deal with it.

I refuse to be that way or to treat family member that way.  I have three sons.  One is very neat and the other two not so much.  I did not do anything to the "neat" one to make him that way, or do anything to the other two to have them be messy.  They are what they are and I will be happy with that and not insist that anything be done my way.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I'd say moderate. My family would say extreme. I'm the most organized person in the family. Husband would love to have a dedicated junk drawer in every room. We've had words ... ha. I try to be patient. He was born on farm in rural Arkansas. Childhood family never parked car in garage because it was filled with junk. Husband's come a long way. But dang those junk drawers!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

My closets, cabinets, and sewing box is arranged for how I find it useful.

Anyone that doesn't like my arrangements shouldn't have looked. Everything is arranged for efficiency.

Honored Contributor

Fairly organized as far as my clothes and shoes, purse, underwear drawer not so much. I do have a junk drawer, I thought everybody did.LOL Husband takes care of the vehicle and he likes it clean.

Respected Contributor

I like to think I am very organized,

and then I realize that I am not.....

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I am extremely organized.  I have a place for everything, and everything's in it's place!  It makes life so much easier.  I never have to go searching for anything (well, ok, sometimes I misplace my glasses.  They are readers so I'm constantly taking them off).

My husband is forever losing his keys.  I tell him if he'd always keep them in the same spot (when not in use), then he'd always know where to find them.   He doesn't listen to me and he sure wastes a lot of time looking for them!