Honored Contributor

Re: Houseplant Recommendation

Plant #3, the pothos, is hard to destroy. Make sure the pot has very good drainage and use a saucer under the pot. Dump out any extra water that runs down into it right away. 

Honored Contributor

Just about any houseplant will do well in an east-facing window.  "House plants" are shade plants, almost by definition, and morning-sun-only is perfect for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa , the oxalis grows from a "corm" (like a bulb) and benefits from a period of dormancy, typically in the winter.  I put mine is a closet or over the crawl space and withhold water for a good 2-3 months (maybe just a drop or two wo they don't dry out completely).  Otherwise they very well may exhaust themselves.

African violets are easy and love morning sun.  I love a good jade plant - not water intensive and you can take cuttings endlessly.  Snake plants are surprisingly pretty if you ask me, and they are super easy but just don't break the top tip of the leaves!  They will never get any bigger at that point.

I could go on.  I've worked in greenhouses for years.  Tending plants is like breathing.  Interested to know what you choose!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@Harpa , the oxalis grows from a "corm" (like a bulb) and benefits from a period of dormancy, typically in the winter.  I put mine is a closet or over the crawl space and withhold water for a good 2-3 months (maybe just a drop or two wo they don't dry out completely).  Otherwise they very well may exhaust themselves.

African violets are easy and love morning sun.  I love a good jade plant - not water intensive and you can take cuttings endlessly.  Snake plants are surprisingly pretty if you ask me, and they are super easy but just don't break the top tip of the leaves!  They will never get any bigger at that point.

I could go on.  I've worked in greenhouses for years.  Tending plants is like breathing.  Interested to know what you choose!

Thanks, everyone, for your great suggestions!

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Thank you for sharing your expertise! I didn't know that about Oxalis. But yesterday I bid both farewell. I'll wait until spring until I see them at market again.

I am getting a heartleaf philodendron. I'll put it next to the spider, which, in spite of my keeping it in a small planter, continues to take over the windowsill.

Esteemed Contributor

About the snake plant.....

Just what I need to put it next to the spider! As if (sometimes) my cooking isn't bad enough to make that room into the kitchen of horrors!

Esteemed Contributor

Love a spider plant!  Such a classic indoor foliage look.  Have fun, @Harpa !

Cogito ergo sum