Esteemed Contributor

What would you recommend for a kitchen window that gets the morning sun? Something that you can't croak?

My oxalis -- 2 of them, all of a sudden won't come back. One I've had for over 5 years!

TIA!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Houseplant Recommendation

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

What would you recommend for a kitchen window that gets the morning sun? Something that you can't croak?

My oxalis -- 2 of them, all of a sudden won't come back. One I've had for over 5 years!

TIA!!

@Harpa 

Snake Plant is easy to care for: (may be toxic to cats/dogs)

Amazon.com: Snake Plant, Mother-In-Law's Tongue - Sanseveria - 6"  Pot/unique-from jmbamboo : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Closet Plant---Easy to grow, dont overwater

Small Closet Plant Terra Flora - Rosenberg - Richmond, Tx 77471

Pothos--ivy, Amazon.com : Costa Farms Easy Care Devil's Ivy Golden Pothos Live Indoor  Plant, 6-Inch : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Flowers That Need Morning Sun Only

• Violets. Violets are annual flowers that blossom in a dark purple hue. This soothing color is perfect for bringing calm to a garden.
    • Primrose. Primrose plants are tough like the violet, but they are perennials, not annuals. They come in virtually any color you could want and are very vibrant when in bloom.
    • Begonias. Begonias are annual flowers, though a perennial variety does exist. Typically this flower does not enjoy the cold and must be brought in when cooler temperatures start.
    • Giant Snowflake. The giant snowflake serves as both an annual plant and a perennial. ...
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The snake plant I understand was called the mother in-law plant, I was told that by my mom and various customers since it sat in the big picture window of my store.  

Iit grows like crazy and keeps reproducing, just a small plant will become large before you know it.  I've split my moms plant so many times and shared her plant with many of my customers and I save a section for myself, the plant is over 70 years old.

I'm not sure if you want that in your kitchen window.  My mom had hers in the living room where there was lots of light.

I'm not even sure you want that ivy plant # 3 I had that very one also in the other store window, it started out small and compact and kept growing and you'll have vines allover the place.  Mine got haircuts at least 2x a year, it loved the sun too.

I have plant #2 here at home, it blooms about 2-3 times a year, a white flower appears and then its gone.  Takes little care, another one don't water too much, loves the sun but right now I have mine in a 12" pot so I'm not sure how much room you have.

How about a cactus?  I know if you live near a Home Depot they have a large amount of indoor plants and if you're lucky, the sales associate in that department will help you find the perfect plant.  At least in ours, the gal is so knowledgeable I'm in an awe.  Love they know they job and area.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa    The picture of the Pothos Ivy is a very hardy plant and very hard to kill.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

My kitchen sink faces a corner, which is east and south windows.  I have orchids that do well there. 

Honored Contributor

I would choose Pothos Ivy, or a collection of succulents in a narrow planter.   I keep my Pothos Ivy trimmed for a bushier plant, instead of letting it run as a vine.   

Esteemed Contributor

I have had luck with the "Prayer Plant"......and they are in my morning sun window area...

Respected Contributor

Succulents have always done very well for me in all of my sunny windows.  There are many different varieties to choose from and they all seem to thrive with very little care.

I purchase mine from a few on-line succulent and cacti sellers.  They arrive in perfect condition and the choices are much better than you find in your local garden centers or big box stores.  

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I can croak anything.

Valued Contributor

I would suggest going to a local nursery or garden center. They would know your area best & could make helpful suggestions! I try to go to local places that have been around forever when seeking knowledge about something I don't know or need help with.