Honored Contributor

Re: Housekeeping - I'm feeling awkward and embarrassed.

I will simply echo some things others have pointed out.

They need to make a good first impression, so they are working harder. They also, if they think like I do, want a complete deep cleaning, so that in the future, they can rotate some jobs and it will be easy to keep up, and I'm sure over time they will be spending less time per cleaning day. This is just the big first time.

And I believe that all of us, whether clean nuts or 'clean enough' types, get into a routine of cleaning, and probably miss some things, just from getting in a pattern of what we do and when. It's always good to have a fresh set of eyes on things we do, this is no different. They are probably finding/doing a few things that you overlook, or maybe don't even think are important. 

I too would feel strange having people clean my house. I like to clean, for the most part, so at this stage of life, don't really want help, but can definitely see where a time in life could come where it would be necessary if not actually welcome. 

At any rate, I hope this works out for you, they do good work, you learn to love it. It may help if you get to know them a bit, and if you pick things for them to do that you don't like/struggle with, and maybe have them leave things that you find easy or enjoyable to still do yourself. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

FL and when I lived up north rates were much higher.  

The rate here is standard $65 for 3 hours.   A full deep house cleaning is $150.

Most cleaning ladies have been cleaning for people in here for years & they do awesome job!!!  It's mostly word of mouth & if someone dies/moves you're lucky -- they put you on their schedule.  

Honestly, I don't think people here (in my community) would pay more but a lady moved here who cleaned houses in CA as her business.  She was shocked how low the hourly rates/flat rates are, she's having a hard time getting clients for this reason.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Don’t feel bad about it at all. Professional housekeepers (the good ones) find dirt where we never look. My husband got me a housekeeper for Christmas & she & I were chatting this last week when she had finished cleaning my house. She said most of us in doing our weekly housework do a good job, but we don’t do the deep cleaning that we pay them to do, i.e., baseboards, oven, refrigerator, using their trusty razor blade to remove grime, tops of shelves that are out of sight, etc. Just enjoy your clean home and don’t think for one minute you’ve been living like a piglet!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@SahmIam 

FL and when I lived up north rates were much higher.  

The rate here is standard $65 for 3 hours.   A full deep house cleaning is $150.

Most cleaning ladies have been cleaning for people in here for years & they do awesome job!!!  It's mostly word of mouth & if someone dies/moves you're lucky -- they put you on their schedule.  

Honestly, I don't think people here (in my community) would pay more but a lady moved here who cleaned houses in CA as her business.  She was shocked how low the hourly rates/flat rates are, she's having a hard time getting clients for this reason.

@homedecor1   The $65 rate is surprising.  I'm in East TN and pay $80 for my 1200 sq. ft. house.  It takes two women 1 1/2 hours to clean it.  The first time they came was $140.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I'm betting next week their hours will go way downn.  They just do things differently than you.

Respected Contributor

Why not set out a schedule for the cleaning people? Let them know what rooms, areas to clean that week and let them know you don't want them cleaning when you come home from work. Just try communicating. You are the bossSmiley Happy

Regular Contributor

My family had housekeepers who stayed toooo long. Let them know you don't want them still cleaning when you come home from work. Who would welcome this?

As was mentioned, communicate what you want from a housekeeper. Otherwise, how will they know?

Honored Contributor

To the OP. Dirt happens. Maids are wonderful to have. Now your home will be extra clean. You’ve been busting your ..working and now you FINALLY have some help. I’m happy for you. 

Frequent Contributor

If you aren't used to having "help" around your house this is probably why you feel uncomfortable. As mentioned above, you do need to set out expectations. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   I've already replied to this but just wanted to jump back in.  I wouldn't give them any instructions about what you want and don't want re: time spent on your home until you see what a normal day will be like.  My two housekeepers spent about 4 1/2 hours on my 1200 sq. ft. home the first time they came.  After that it's been an hour and a half each time.  They schedule things like when they're going to do the blinds and plantation shutters, baseboards, etc.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau