Esteemed Contributor

Re: Housekeeping - I'm feeling awkward and embarrassed.

@house_cat 

Let me add my voice to the chorus to just enjoy the help.

I've had cleaning women coming in every other week for many years.  I started when I worked and couldn't get to it like I wanted to.

Now that I'm retired, I still have two women coming in every other week.  I decided it is money well spent and an expense I could still afford.

I clean in between their cleanings, but at least I know that every bathroom is cleaned and everything is dusted and mopped every two weeks.

We don't eat out much, or travel, and my husband still works.  As far as I'm concerned, it is money well-spent.

Nothing you described seems out of the ordinary, so just be happy that you've got such a considerate husband!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We got our cleaners from our Neighbors. They come every two weeks too. I have to hide the cat in the wardrobe room (kind of old dressing room....they clean every room but that)  The cat gets all worked up when they come.  Very upset. 

When they first came, I felt awkward and embarrassed.  I'm used to them now.  They first came when I had my car accident.  We decided to keep them after I recovered.  We called them the Spanish tornado.  They seem to clean my house in a blink of an eye.  I like them a lot.  We always chat while they clean.

Edited to add, I do some cleaning in between their visits too.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat - I haven't taken the time to read all of the replies yet, but I can relate to what you are saying. I have a hubby and 2 kids at home, along with several dogs, and I too, feel like all I do is clean.

But for me, I keep cleaning the same surfaces over and over again, toilets, counters, floors, etc. Because I spend every day off doing these same things, I rarely do any deep cleaning like under furniture, windows, base boards, walls, etc. I just don't have the inclination by the time the routine stuff is done. 

I would LOVE to have a cleaning crew come in and deep clean all the nooks and corners of the house. It just seems kinda like a waste right now because the kids and dogs generate so much dirt. But I would definitely consider a cleaning lady if it were just me and hubby and I could afford it. I  say embrace it and enjoy it rather than be embarrassed by it. After 40 years of marriage, I think you deserve a little break! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of years ago I decided to get a housekeeper.  It's very hard for me to vacuum because of my back.  I got an estimate before they came the first time.  It was $40 more the first time because they spent so much extra time doing the things you mentioned.  They were very thorough and did an excellent job.  

I have a 1200 sq. ft. house, and when they clean they spend about an hour and a half.  I don't remember how long they stayed the first time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the moral support, ladies 😘

I do have a wonderful husband.  He's not perfect... I could make a list of the things he does that drive me batty, but I'll save that for another thread, lol.  Because he's disabled and home alone a lot of the time, he depends on my company and attention on the weekends.  The problem is that I'm so busy shopping, cleaning, cooking all weekend that there is very little free time. He does manage to do the laundry, so I've relinquished those duties to him. The only laundry I do is my own "fussy" stuff.  That's pretty much the only chore he can help with, and he can no longer drive, so I can't even send him on errands or tell him to get lost for a day while I scrub the house top to bottom.  This decision was a long time coming, but I think it's the right one. 

As I start my day this morning I realize that nothing really looks different. I'm a clean person and a neat freak, so my house always looks clean.  However, it's never ALL CLEAN AT THE SAME TIME... and it is today.  For that I am very grateful.  Asking for help has never been something that is easy for me, but I'm 60 years old now and it's time to get over myself. 

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat   No worries.  It's their first visit, correct?  So I think what they are doing is a "deep cleaning" which lets them get familiar with the set up of your home and to set a "baseline"so to speak so that on return visits they will know what needs refreshing, revisiting, and when to tackle something again.  Makes the upkeep easier for them.  And--there are two of them, so two sets of eyes, hands, and double the energy for their team effort.

My first job out of college was as a maid in a Catholic rectory, which was a three story very old building.  All by myself in the first two days I did what your clean team is doing and did such a good, thorough job that I got so many praises that I was embarrased.  

For example, there had been several women doing the job before my arrival that had never dusted, swept or vacuumed the interior back stairs off the kitchen.  One of the priests used to use that staircase occasionally and he noticed the difference.  He climbed all the way up to the top because he was amazed that I hadn't skipped that floor, either.  Once I got every area up to snuff it was easier to maintain it.  It got so that I had free time so the full time cook, originally from England, gave me terrific cooking lessons every day.

So be assured you keep a fine house and hold down a full-time job.  These ladies, a blessing for you, are pursuing their full time jobs at which they've become expert.

So enjoy the help and relax.  Make a hot cup of something and put your feet up.  Believe me, you'll still being doing the "domestic goddess" routine daily, since these ladies are not the live-in help which you see in shows such as Downton Abbey.

And bless your husband--how thoughtful of him.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks for all the moral support, ladies 😘

I do have a wonderful husband.  He's not perfect... I could make a list of the things he does that drive me batty, but I'll save that for another thread, lol.  Because he's disabled and home alone a lot of the time, he depends on my company and attention on the weekends.  The problem is that I'm so busy shopping, cleaning, cooking all weekend that there is very little free time. He does manage to do the laundry, so I've relinquished those duties to him. The only laundry I do is my own "fussy" stuff.  That's pretty much the only chore he can help with, and he can no longer drive, so I can't even send him on errands or tell him to get lost for a day while I scrub the house top to bottom.  This decision was a long time coming, but I think it's the right one. 

As I start my day this morning I realize that nothing really looks different. I'm a clean person and a neat freak, so my house always looks clean.  However, it's never ALL CLEAN AT THE SAME TIME... and it is today.  For that I am very grateful.  Asking for help has never been something that is easy for me, but I'm 60 years old now and it's time to get over myself. 

@house_cat  Finally she has seen the light!!!  Good for you.  Hallelujah!

Esteemed Contributor

Take a breath and let them clean. The fact that it is driving you crazy means that you do clean. I am a cleaning "nut" (as my family likes to put it) and there is this "mystery" dust that appears on all my table tops, furniture the day after I clean the family room. It drives me crazy. 

My friend has a cleaning business of her own,.She views it as it's her job to clean areas that some people would only clean seasonaly or for the holidays. They are getting paid and this is their profession. Let them do their job and just appreciate the help. This does NOT mean that you do not clean properly. It's their job just like your job. They also want to make a good impression so they have a client. 

Try to relax about it and appreciate the help. It isn't an insult but a luxery or treat. It's the way I viewed it when I had window cleaners. Every one needs one or two "treats" to help ease the load.   

Honored Contributor

@house_cat : What a blessing. Sit back and enjoy. I’m almost 65 disable with disabled DH. Takes me forever to get things done. We have a special friend that we pay to clean weekly. Still difficult to keep clean between. DH still gets upset that I preclean before she comes. DH has a tendency to hoard stuff and I have to set limits for him.I pay for the cleaning. She is precious because if I am working on a project she helps with no extra money but I surprise her with items she needs or wants. She takes my purged items to the local donation center. At first felt odd letting someone come in and clean. I have decided that the money is well spent and a special gift to me. Really would be special if DH paid for this. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

It's just new too you.  Professionals do better and more thorough job of it than we do ourselves.  It's not a criticism of your house cleaning, of course your house was clean.  They are doing a super duper job because they are getting paid....and they want to keep the job.  Your husband sounds like a great guy.   The best gift I ever gave myself was hiring a cleaing lady, she's in once a week.