Honored Contributor

Housekeeping - I'm feeling awkward and embarrassed.

My DH retired earlier than planned, due to a disability.  He's home most days, but can't help with housework and he feels bad about that. So, he spoke to the ladies who do the housekeeping for our neighbors and he's going to have them come here every other week.

They started today... 11 am, while I was at work.  They are two ladies and they've been working feverishly since then.  It's now 5:30 pm and they're still not finished.  I have a 1300 sq foot home, just a few thousand square feet short of a mansion, lol.  I don't think there's a corner they haven't cleaned.

Yes, I am feeling very blessed to have help after four decades of marriage, but I have to say I'm feeling very awkward about it.  I feel like I'm constantly cleaning - in fact, we had company last weekend and I cleaned like crazy leading up to that.... so the fact that these ladies are finding all this dirt in my house is more than a little disturbing.  It makes me feel like a piglet.

I don't know what the reason is for this post, other than the fact that I'm feeling really uncomfortable about something that is supposed to be making me happy.

Sigh.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Housekeeping - I'm feeling awkward and embarrassed.

[ Edited ]

Lucky you!  Let them clean.  Most ladies who clean have a routine and they clean whether it needs it or not!  Time = $$.  Just enjoy your clean house!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   don't feel stressed about the dirt. they are just trying to get in a full 6/8 hour day. lol.

i can imagine just what you are feeling. 

Trusted Contributor

They need to make an excellent first impression, hence the extra time put in on the first visit.

I too would feel awkward having my house cleaned by someone other than myself.

I think, after a few visits, I could learn to love it.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat   I have a maid every other week. I clean the week she isn’t here. It’s just the small dogs and myself.

After emptying my Dyson today I can’t believe the fine dust it picks up, much less the hair!

I take shoes off and wipe the dogs paws, still dirt. 

I think your cleaning Ladies are wonderful to take so much time. They are doing their job and it’s wonderful that you can have the help!

Honored Contributor

Enjoy having the help and thank your DH for being thoughtful.  Maybe they won't do such a "complete" cleaning after the first visit.  If you want them to do less, just tell them.   After surgery a few years ago, I had help for quite a while and it was helpful.  (plus my kids were young)   Now I'm old and so far do it myself.  I do have someone come in infrequently to clean my kitchen cabinets.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Relax and enjoy. They have seen far worse than your house and they appreciate the work.

Honored Contributor

What are they doing, washing windows and walls, shampooing the rugs, cleaning out the closets?  6 1/2 hours for 2 of them is a long time for 1300 square feet.  

Any housekeeper I ever had took no more than a few hours to dust, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, and kitchen. 

Possibly, they moved furniture and did a thorough cleaning for the first time.  Next time it won't take as long.  

Ask your husband what they did all day.  

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers  I know what you mean.  It's just me and my small dog that doesn't shed.  I now have a vacuum without a bag so after I vacuum I can see what is picked up.  I'm amazed.  I empty it after vacuuming the entire house and I cannot believe all the stuff that was picked up.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

Yes. They did the windows and the patio doors. We have two fireplaces, they cleaned the fireplace glass on both.  We have 2 1/2 bathrooms, so that takes time.  They're still here and it's 6:15, but they finally seem to be winding down.  Last time I went upstairs they were cleaning the plantation shutters in my bedroom. We have them throughout the house and they're time consuming to clean.  My wood floors look like new. 

I don't know what it's going to cost yet, my husband said it's not my concern because he's the one home all day and the housework should be his business (his sentiment, not mine). That's a new one, since for the last 40 years it's always been MY business, but I'm not going to contradict him on that.  Still, I think it's going to be expensive.  I do agree, though, that they won't spend this much time on subsequent visits.

~ house cat ~