Valued Contributor

Re: House work and repairs/updates....

I am older than you and have a really bad low back. I do long bike rides to keep in shape, but housework really kills my back.....also 2 replaced hips so not exactly as limber as I used to be. Glad you are able to do it. I'm really not.....will gladly pay someone who needs the cash and does it well.

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@BriggsiePeawiggle     I hope you cleaning lady is back soon!

... I still clean our house...and honestly for the most part don't mind.  I am healthy, only 64 and work part time at our business.  I have to stay busy or would be very ancy...

I am grateful that I am still able to do it myself, and I do not want any help from my husband, unless I ask.  I work better alone, ha!

I also like to get in and clean the corners....windows are another thing, they are 20 years old, replacement windows.  It's nice that they can be cleaned both sides from inside the house but oh my there are so many grooves that I cannot possibly get them really clean, dirt and dust collect in those areas.  The screens will no longer come out, so I have to wash them down with a sponge.  I do the windows often during the summer.  I did look at new windows, they newer styles do not have all the grooves and tracks that mine have, but we are not replacing windows!

I do a really big clean 4x a year when I decorate the house for a holiday or get ready for spring/summer. 

Homeownership/upkeep is never ending, but grateful for my home.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I know exactly where you are coming from. The work and the list of things that need done, or we'd just like to get done, never ends. Sometimes it seems overwhelming,  in making decisions about who to hire, how to prioritize, and mostly for us, getting it paid for. We are by no means poor, but we live on much less than many, and a home can really drain your finances over time.

The physical work this year with our kitchen remodel and everything else we've had going on has been exhausting for me too. I keep thinking it just has to slow down some, but I keep seeing more that need done! 

I can definitely see an end to this, at least a house and property this large. I'm going to have a rough time convincing my husband to downsize, and I don't expect it to be in the cards for at least a decade, maybe even a little more, but I will say, I'm already contemplating what I want (house, condo, etc.) where we should go, and when will the time be right. Can't believe I'm already at the age to even be considering these things, much less actually looking forward to it in a way! LOL

But, maybe you can do what I have done a lot this last couple of years. Take a deep breath, celebrate each little accomplishment, don't beat yourself up about the extra time it takes to get it done (I can sure tell this year I'm not 20 something any more!), and know you aren't alone. I have had to just be glad as I pushed my way through the work this summer, that even though it was hard and I hurt and was exhausted, I'm still able to do it. Not as well or as fast as before, but by cracky, I did it! 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@NAES1, I have come to accept (with some kicking and screaming) that I will most likely die in this house...I am 64 years old. I have lived in this house since the day we were married 40 years ago.  We have 2 floors, 1800 sq. ft.

DH is quite a bit older than me and not that he does not want to sell but WILL NOT sell if we can't get a fair price out of the house.  $350,000 is about the high end of homes in our community....our house is not one of those, probably about 1/2 that amount, or less..especially with out air.   We have no mortage but obviously if we moved the new home would be more than what we would get out of our house plus all the little things that need to be done once you move in.  We don't want to be house poor when we retire...and do not want to take if from our investments.

There is one area of town that has built villas for those that want to downsize...it's a nice looking subdivision, but the homes are about 1300 sq ft.  dh would really lose his mind in such a small space. There are not a lot of 1 story homes in town either, that are not really old and would need a lot of updating.  Our home built in the 70's has been kept up to date..it would be a great buy, if we had air...being on a slab makes it almost impossible, no duct work either.

I really do enjoy doing some projects...cannot imagine having someone come into my home and put in a light bulb, that is wild!!

The other part of the story is that DH's ex wife had to have this house to 'save' their marriage...he tried to make her happy and bought the house, she moved out 6 months later......I never would have picked out this house, not my style but after 40 years I have  put my stamp on it.

@Mom2Dogs 

I don't want to seem like I know your situation better than you do, but I will say, some of the things that HGTV and realtors have people believing about the sale of their homes is just not accurate. 

I don't know where you live, but we don't have air, in north central region of Ohio, and many people don't. Realtors will tell you that the lack of central air is going to kill your sale, but it really doesn't here, and maybe not where you are either. 

Honestly, unless a market is swimming in listings, it often just takes some time to move your home for a price you want. If you both are serious, get it into condition to list, stick to the realistic price YOU want, not what the realtors are telling you you need to list at, and see what happens. The worst would be that is doesn't sell, and you are no worse for the wear than you are right now. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee ....if you don't mind...did you buy one of the units that has the hose that goes out the window?  

We have thought about purchasing a similar unit once the window ac in the bedroom is to much to lift in and out each season.  So far no issues, but you never know when it will become to heavy to lift.

@Mom2Dogs 

I have one of those air conditioning units, and I have to say, it's better than nothing, but I'm not impressed with it. 

I didn't research, just went out in the middle of a very hot spell at the end of the summer a few years ago and took the last one on the shelf. It barely cools our family room, and doesn't compare in 'cold' to the older window air conditioners I've had in the past or to the amount of square footage I can get cool with it. 

Maybe other brands and newer ones are better. It is better in that I can roll it around and not have to lift something in and out of a window, and damage my sill and such. But the think take up floor space, the hose is ugly, strung out inside....just not a good look for sure. 

I don't even bother to bring it up from the basement till we have over a week in the 90's with no relief in sight. I'm glad to have it when it gets really miserable, but can't say I like it. 

Respected Contributor

Oh ladies I am glad I read this post. We are in a similar position. The house is too big for us and it has been for a while. It is a Cape Ann with four bedrooms, two car garage on 3 and a half acres. Four rooms are not being used. We are planning to sell in the spring. The house is dated but we do not want to do any more as far as upgrading. It does have central air and a generator. When the power goes out it comes on. I have cleaned out five and a half truck loads. DH has not done anything in the garage or cellar. Says he has plenty of time. Oh it is at the end of a private dirt road. The town we live in is a plus. Very well run. I sold our first house myself but that was many years ago. I want it to read old fashioned house. We will see. Oh now I am a little nervous. Is this how we feel when we are older and making changes like this?

Honored Contributor

Good luck lighting a fire under your dh....I wonder why men drag their feet?  My dh is pretty good at keeping up with what I want to do around the house....but it's usually my idea and usually I am in charge, and he helps....maybe I have a take charge personality...I don't know.

I would be a little nervous but very excited about being able to move...it will be fun looking for a new place and getting to 'nest' in a new place!

Regular Contributor

My home has central heating and AC . I live in the lower California desert and weather has very warm and humid . At around 6 PM , I turn the central AC off and we go to our bedrom and turn on our portable AC close our doors . I see no need to cool off the west of the house . This works for us and saves us money and at the same time we are comfortable . I take my portable AC and drain the water in our shower and then reconnet the unit .

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Your question is very reasonable & most of us can relate.

Some weekends, I just need to take a breather .. i.e., be on the lazy side & not devote all my time to cleaning.  I'm learning it's good to pamper ourselves when needed.  

And, yes, I can tell the difference.  Sometimes, during the week, I'll sneak the vacuum out before leaving for work for a quick clean.

Working all week can also wear me out depending on how the day(s) go.

As for the updates, I agree, they don't end.  Seems as though when you complete a project, another is needed .. then the revolving door begins again .. 

We're still on the fence about moving but really need to decide once & for all.  Something to focus on, whether to do expensive updates as windows, etc.

Good luck to everyone here on the cleaning & decision making.  I hope everyone is nice enough to not "jump on" @Mom2Dogs 

Honored Contributor

@shelbyshelbyshelby I am not a fan of air conditioning so living in this house for 40+years has been ok...and we do have a couple of wall units we use when it is really hot and humid, but most people look at us like we have two heads when we say we don't have central air!   In our area houses built in the early 70's just didn't have air....growing up we did not have air conditioning.

When I really appreciate the unit down stairs is when I am trying to clean, sometimes you can't even run the sweeper because of the humidity.  When I really want air upstairs is when I am trying to get dressed, my clothing just sticks to the body, ugh.

There have been times when it was so cool in the house that I sat on the back porch to warm up when it was 90+degrees outside.

Honored Contributor

We've been in our house for 27 years and every single year we've had at least a few pojects going....sometimes large...like remodeling the kitchen, new roof (that was quick though) new furnace & ac, replacing carpet downstiars with hardwood.  Sometimes the projects were small like painting trim or refreshing my son's room from a little boy bedroom to a fresh guest room.  Yet it just never seems anwhere near being done!

Lately I've been eyeing our 2 story foyer.  Years ago my DH added crown molding at the top & picture frame molding high up on the walls.  We added a chair rail and tone on tone wallpaper under it.  Now it looks tired and needs to be freshened up.  My DH can no longer paint high up on a ladder and I can't imagine what it will cost to repaint the foyer!

So I understand how you feel!  Yet how can I complain when most of the world lives much worse than I do?