Honored Contributor

Re: House work and repairs/updates....

Good morning @NAES1 ...the issue we are on a slab with no duct work...so not only do we have to purchase the unit we also have to have the entire house/rooms cut into for duct work.....very labor intensive....it's an issue.

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention...

With this climate getting ever so hot, I looked into getting a central AC installed. My house was not built with one and it does not have the electrical capability to handle the load of an AC. So that means I would have to upgrade my electric breaker box to accommodate the higher load and it turns out that a $3K AC unit would end up costing close to $10K by the time all was said and done. So I decided to buy a big portable AC unit  instead and that works just fine and dandy.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

A home is both your biggest investment and a big part of your happiness.  It is an investment well made I guess--since you live there and at retirement are there day and night often.

It isn't as much simply a financial decision as something like a car.  So to me, where you live is a unique mix of heart and head!  LOL!!!

And in having moved three times and looking back at where we have lived, I might have made a different choice on housing looking back.  It isn't totally about what you want to pay, it is also about how much do you love it and what can you really afford.  

A home is a mix of useable space, mechanical systems, location LOCATION, accessibility, liveability, taste, and decor (low on the list because it is the easiest and cheapest to change).

Any home usually requires some compromises in what you have in it, how you live, how far you travel etc.  But sometimes a home really feels like it's where you belong, and that to me is worth a lot.  It's a difficult choice, but can be the best thing you ever did!  

Honored Contributor

Having repairs done now to our upper floor due to tree damage ---it destroyed the roof and all the rooms upstairs to some degree. been fighting with insurance over funds-----JERKS!!!! and have been in a rental since July. the hubs has been helping out too, he is a capenter and built the house--but it is a long frustrating thing---I have done a few things myself but otherwise the contractor is doing it all. Tree fell in Dec and so we have lived with this for all this year so far. Not sure when we will move back in either. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee ....if you don't mind...did you buy one of the units that has the hose that goes out the window?  

We have thought about purchasing a similar unit once the window ac in the bedroom is to much to lift in and out each season.  So far no issues, but you never know when it will become to heavy to lift.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

...it just seems to never end!  Anyone else feel this way?

We are currently updating my bathroom, so I took off the wallpaper, cleaned the walls, then I painted the ceiling.  We will have the skim coat on the walls and the tub/shower surround restored by professionals.  I rarely get worn out by working around the house, but I am beat!

We have always kept up the house...every year there is a project, sometimes small other years larger, but it never ends, and then the house needs to be kept clean as well as the yard taken care of.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I am grateful for a nice home to live in....just venting.

We moved from the West Coast to the Southeast 3 years ago.  Went from a 1400 square foot home with no attic or basement to a 7500 square foot home with a finished basement and attic.  We knew when we got this house that we'd like to make some changes/make it our own but also thought we would take our take and do it over time.  Turns out many things needed our attention right away and less than a year after that we needed two new HVAC's and a new furnace.  We were just about to finally paint the entire interior of the second level, then my husband's truck broke down and needed a new one.  Always something.  We have so much more we want to do.  We used most of the funds the first two years fixing things.  My father once told me many years ago..."a house is never done."  Boy, he got that right.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee ....if you don't mind...did you buy one of the units that has the hose that goes out the window?  

We have thought about purchasing a similar unit once the window ac in the bedroom is to much to lift in and out each season.  So far no issues, but you never know when it will become to heavy to lift.

@Mom2Dogs 

Yes, exactly. I have a portable, on wheels, AC with two hoses which go to a window panel thing. I looked around to find out which one to get and from what I could determine, the units that have two hoses appeared to me to be a better option for cooling my house. I bought the largest possible unit made. Anything larger would have to be one that uses 220V outlet (traditionally installed in a window or a wall, you know that kind) or a total central AC system. Mine uses a standard wall outlet. 

Around here it gets cool a night, even during the summertime, and I had a whole-house attic fan installed years ago before I bought that AC unit. So at night I just turn on the whole-house fan and open the windows to allow the fan to draw in the cool outside air. No AC is on at night. That fan is the best thing I ever invested in as far as cooling my house. I also have an additional attic fan, one that just takes the hot air from the attic and not the house. That fan is also a wise investment. It helps keep my house cool also by removing heat from the attic that would otherwise radiate downward into my house. I have very thick attic insulation, too. Every bit helps.

Honored Contributor

About 10 years ago, I had all of my windows replaced with ones with special glass. That glass has a special coating to prevent heat transfer in both directions. That was an extremely costly investment but well worth feeling more comfortable inside my house. As for recouping the money spent...well that was something I had to think about and in the end it was probably not going to make me any money but what it has done is reduce my monthly energy cost of heating an cooling my house. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Even when you hire people, all this stuff gets very old, very fast.  I feel guilty complaining, but seeing you asked....

It started with remodeling our kitchen and pantry.  then two full baths and one 1/2 bath.  We just had our sunroom painted and are still searching for the right carpet.  We are having some rooms repainted on our first floor, as well as the trim.

We are seniors, trying to upgrade everything for an eventual sale.  My house looks like a junkyard.  Oh, and we just had a new driveway put in.  Like I said, I feel so guilty, but homes here have to be in perfect shape to sell.  And I will be so happy when it is done.  Maybe we’ll never move!!

AHH,               

@PamfromCT 

Pam, dear heart,

I was just replying back to @Mom2Dogs after enjoying our time two+ hours ago, Pam

It appears that most, here- have to, or wish to downsize.

I'll get back after my very LATE reply from @Mom2Dogs

early Good Morning. I'm on here further down Pam, so understanding everyone's druthers.

Pam, your home is in 'one of the same' geographies as ours. High taxed and can't sell unless perfect.

Beautiful homes, but [ no ] 5,000 sq ft of space. One reason we had the new furnace & filtration system installed, along with a $10,000. huge top brand A/C system within about the same time. A lot of $$s for a new state of the art furnace.

If someone is really very choosy and wants to buy a nice home, they will IF NO Central Air.  $135,000 is a sleeper STEAL for a well taken cared home in a nice neighborhood. I believe it's the husband that is not wanting to move, @Mom2Dogs .

Throw in QUIET as close to an NON noise atmosphere and a slow traffic street w/privacy and I believe SOLD.

@Mom2Dogs The lady across the street waited 1 year with 6 home  lookers until she hit the price and much more than expected. 

WE have

two large floors and attic. Laundry room and separate TV and Computer room - with A LOT of storage space. THE YARD IS A BIG SELLING POINT.

!  No one but my husband mows the grass, anymore. People are becoming old and have multi health issues.

GRASS: It is all done by a professional service, throughout. AND! That is -WHY- my husband, so far is in pretty darn good physical shape.

He has always been this active and I don't believe he will stop until he .........just drops!

He loves nature; our back= 1 acreage; totally like a park. 12 trees-3 60 ft high / an English garden with years of love there/ walking distance to everything/ three large shop centers 15 minutes away by car/ our own post office/ ...and 12 paid uniformed police for this area only / a large hospital 8 minutes from home, along with helicopter transfer to a huge medical center into town= 12 minutes tops/ 3 different school systems/ doctors' offices / our large (3 protected PARKS in only three states) with a huge pool and golf area with concerts and a large activity center for weddings, reunions for over 500.

People are on a wait list to move in. 

I have checked and know [they] on a waiting list would pay any price (almost) to just have the safety and park area(S).  Very few apartments but building newer homes on the east side. The only REASON we bought here was for the "2"; best school systems and our back yard. 

Unless one of us, or both just pops off, I know the other will stay. This home goes to our son.

A fine investment and I'm not letting loose that quickly.

I do NOT want to ever -ever live in a senior citizen complex. I would go off my nut! I do agree with @SilleeMee - a window A/C and fans is good enough for a KING. How spoiled have we become?  S A D  & quite blah!

We actually love our home, but the A/C and furnace - filtration ducts, as resizing, or any new amenities adds to the property value.... if and when our son would ever have to take ownership.

Smiley Happy

HI, @Mom2Dogs , I'll be there within one hour. I never knew the urgency of this many moving; I can, though, understand the wife's husband having a medical condition.

$$$s and someone OUT of work will be very ecstatic to take home chores on in a flash. The more he will do with the extra $$s given.

Call a PROFESSIONAL outfit service. They do the walking for you; they are certified and employ only the professionals. 

Hoping everyone finds that special slot that is screaming ""take me"" and be so very happy.  This was not to offend anyone, just some understanding to the whys. I get it!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Truly,  you sound exactly like us, just the two of us. We've been doing this kind of stuff a few months after moved in, in 1985!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We're (1) getting tired and (2) TOO OLD!!!

Yet there's always something else that needs to be done or something I just want to re-do. The only way much of any of our work gets planned and done is when I take charge so I do. DH doesn't take charge but he's always okay with the work and is all in. And since I'm in charge latey what's been done was hired out. This works too.