Respected Contributor

I have always used SW paint, my entire house is the same formula (not the same color) -  1 coat tinted primer and 2 coats of paint.  11 years later when people visit they ask if the rooms were recently painted as they look so fresh.  

I am now looking to have a new house painted and had a few painters come out to bid and I noticed that 3 of the 'older' painters note that they have stopped using SW paint, they all noted an overall decline in pigment and coverage.  2 prefer to use Behr.

I did not ask their opinions each just happen to offer this insight, but all admit that for decades they only used SW paint.

Does anyone else have any insight?

I did notice that the price for Behr is about 1/2 of SW. WOW!

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  When I did my own painting, I used Ralph Lauren for a number of years but it became difficult to get.  I tried Behr even though it is highly rated by Home Depot, I did not care for it at all.  I have used SW for years and have a painter, now, who only used SW but wanted to use Behr the last time. I said no and have continued to use SW.  I find the coverage to be superior and it holds up beautifully.  I have not noticed any decline in pigment or coverage.  SH usually has a coupon for 30% to 40% off.  Sign up on their website and they will email it to you.  I have not noticed any change in their paint.  IF SW works for you and you are satisified, contine using your preference.  You can purchase the paint directly, yourself and your painter will only charge for labor.

I have had the same results as you.  It, always, looks freshly painted.

Honored Contributor

I think every painter has his/her preferred brand.  I did have one once who liked Behr and, yes, it is sold at Home Depot.  Interesting about it being so much less expensive than SW.

Honored Contributor

Behr works for us. The entire inside of our home is using Behr paint from Home Depot. 

Honored Contributor

We have always used SW too. But my DH no longer will use it.  It said it appears to be thinner and watery and he doesn't like the coverage.

The week before Thanksgiving, he painted our kitchen, dining room, living room, powder room, hall way and stairs...walls and ceilings with Behr paint.  It was not half the price of SW, in fact it was more expensive.  SW was on sale and Behr was not.  

Behr never seems to be on sale, though they have a $5 mail in rebate per can on    Memorial Day.

He also likes Benjamin Moore paint and I love their colors, but the price was $70 and up a can.  Lucky for me that Behr will custom color their paint with BM colors.  They have the color formula info right in their computers.

In my dining room, I went with a light color this time to cover a very dark color and thought we would need a primer, but the Behr covered it with one coat, but my DH always uses two coats anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  This is exactly what the painters said.

In our area SW best line of paint is $70 a gallon, but yes they always have coupons.

The price per gallon is not the deciding factor for us it is coverage and wear-ability.  Since we are paying for labor time is $$  I am one of those people who eye goes to every flaw so when paint is uneven, pourous or streaky- I can see it a mile a away!

Side note SW was trying to purchase BM a few years ago but I do not know the outcome.....

Honored Contributor

We have always used Pittsburgh paint.

Esteemed Contributor

We have SW paint in our new house that was finished in Feb this year. I believe there is only one coat. I do not think the pigment is off.

Respected Contributor

Suggestion for left over paint for future touch ups:  store the paint in a tightly sealed glass jar.  Then when you need to touch up a spot, the paint will not stand out as a touched up area.

Remember to attach a note as to which room that shade goes to !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill