Honored Contributor

Re: House Hunters and Other HGTV Shows!

RE Love it or List It - no, the hosts aren't just actors.  I"m certain that Hilary is a very successful designer - she has decorated celebrity homes.  I don't know much about David.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

RE Love it or List It - no, the hosts aren't just actors.  I"m certain that Hilary is a very successful designer - she has decorated celebrity homes.  I don't know much about David.

@Mj12   I just posted what I found on Wikipedia about David and Hillary.  David is an actor and also a realtor, and Hillary is a very successful designer as you said.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

This is what I found out about David on Wikipedia:

David Scott Michael Visentin (born June 28, 1965) is a Canadian actor and realtor. He is best known as one of the hosts of Love It or List It, with co-host Hilary Farr. The show is broadcast on HGTV and W Networks. He is a native citizen of Canada.

Here is what Wikipedia says about Love It Or List It:

Hosts

• Hilary Farr – Hilary Farr is a home designer from Toronto, Ontario. She has lived in Australia, England, California, and New York City. Farr honed her skills on properties in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, New York and Toronto. When she first moved back to Toronto, she became the first designer to "stage" properties for sale. She continues to build and design homes in the downtown core where she herself owns properties.[5]
  • David Visentin – David Visentin is a real estate agent in Southern Ontario with Country Living Realty Limited. He has been practicing since 1987.[6]

Hi @NickNack thank you for posting this!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

David Scott Michael Visentin (born June 28, 1965) is a Canadian actor and realtor. He is best known as one of the hosts of Love It or List It, with co-host Hilary Farr. The show is broadcast on HGTV and W Networks. He is a native citizen of Canada.

Hosts

• Hilary Farr – Hilary Farr is a home designer from Toronto, Ontario. She has lived in Australia, England, California, and New York City. Farr honed her skills on properties in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, New York and Toronto. When she first moved back to Toronto, she became the first designer to "stage" properties for sale. She continues to build and design homes in the downtown core where she herself owns properties.[5]
  • David Visentin – David Visentin is a real estate agent in Southern Ontario with Country Living Realty Limited. He has been practicing since 1987.[6]

So the article I read was not 100% correct then, stating that Hilary and David were actors then......

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Hosts

So the article I read was not 100% correct then, stating that Hilary and David were actors then......Thanks for posting this....I had a hard time believing that neither of them were not experienced in their area of expertise! Maybe the article meant just that the show itself was fake!

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Hosts

So the article I read was not 100% correct then, stating that Hilary and David were actors then......

@CANDLEQUEEN   Since many people don't read the entire thread you could go back into your OP and state that Hillary and David actually are a designer and realtor.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I pretty much always assumed the shows are scritpted --and pretty tightly scripted.  You don't have to listen too carefully to hear the same lines of script used over and over by the host workers. .

Doesn't sound to me as if what that article tells me about why it says the shows are fake would mean anything at all to me.  I'm not going to hire those people or appear on their shows.  Someoneone sold a house, someone changed a house.  That's really all I care about.  And forget the prices they use -  if they're not where you live and relatively new, it's not likely the numbers are meaningful.

Honored Contributor

I have read that on these forums in the past.

Some of the shows where people are flipping houses act like they don't have a clue what they are doing??? Some do know what they are doing or it seems that way.

I sure would hate to buy some of these houses that are flipped by someone that does not have a clue what they are doing.

You just never know if things were fixed like they should have been. Including behind the walls.

Some fix up older homes but don't open the walls. I for sure would not buy one of those. They have fixed it nice up but you most likely still have old plumbing & electric.

If it still had the old knob & tube wiring they would have to tear all the new work done to get to it. Does not make sense to do that.

Honored Contributor

My sister's boss (Canadian Company) did Love it or List it.

True....they NEVER list it no matter what they say/decide on TV.  It is agreed upon from the beginning that you will be staying if they do all the construction work.  There was a clause stating a timeframe that the house can't be listed.  Sis can't remember how long that was. 

Homeowner pays for everything and yes it is staged w/ the option to purchase.

Hillary was definitely IN on the designing of the reno...(with her team though)

so I would agree that she is NOT just an actor.

Honored Contributor

I thought this was common knowledge.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)