Respected Contributor

Hooray! My Windows Are Clean1

I've tried so many products trying to clean my windows.  Nothing was working, always streaks.  It was so frustrating to me because in my old house, I was able to get sparkley, clean windows just by cleaning them by hand using windex and paper towels.  I was hesitate to use windex outdoor window cleaner (that attaches to hose) because of was scared I'd get foggy windows.  But I gave in and tried one window today and it worked!  Ended up doing a total of 17 windows.  13 more to go!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hooray! My Windows Are Clean1

@ScrapHappy  You have one heavily windowed house.  Good to hear that Windex works.  I've always been skeptical but I can't get on a ladder so I might try it.  Thanks for the review. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've tried so many products trying to clean my windows.  Nothing was working, always streaks.  It was so frustrating to me because in my old house, I was able to get sparkley, clean windows just by cleaning them by hand using windex and paper towels.  I was hesitate to use windex outdoor window cleaner (that attaches to hose) because of was scared I'd get foggy windows.  But I gave in and tried one window today and it worked!  Ended up doing a total of 17 windows.  13 more to go!

Please help me understand what you are using, you first said you were "using Windex and paper towels..", and I am assuming that is for the inside?

But then in the next sentence you said you "hesitated to use Windex outdoor window cleaner... But I gave in and tried one window..."  So is that for the inside or the outside?  

I'm so confused, are you using two different Windex products, one for inside and the other one for outside?

Respected Contributor

The owner of the glass store where I bought my store front windows years ago for my business told me they only use rubbing alcohol and water, 50/50.

Never any build up and never any streaks.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy   It does work great, I've been using it since it came out.  I wish I could use it inside, so easy.

Esteemed Contributor

I use newspaper instead of paper towels. Love windex. 

Honored Contributor

Washing windows here is ultra difficult!  The windows on the back side and one side of the house are 3 floors up over blacktop!

I have to open them up and clean from the inside, room windows are 5 ft x 3 ft!

Esteemed Contributor

Clean windows are a joy.  I just got some new doors with full view glass, Low E, and I find cleaning them to be a whole new ballgame.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

That 's great that you can clean your outside windows with a hose with no streaking. Wow, you have a lot of windows!

In my old house, I had a ton of windows with storm windows inserted.  It would take me forever to take them apart to clean, but I could not clean the outside of the windows on the second or third floor.  I wish that type of Windex that you use with a hose was available back then.

We built the house we live in now....a two story with tilt-in windows.  They are so easy to clean.  I normally clean the LR and kitchen windows every week or two.  My LR windows are low to the floor and get " nose prints" on the them.  The kitchen window is above the sink.

My DH loves to wash windows...he does the windows in the whole house about four times a year.  I don't complain.  Now, if only he liked to clean bathrooms.

Honored Contributor

We have used that before. It works pretty good. Don't know why DH does not use it?

I just cleaned all the window tracks inside & out.

DH cleaned the windows. When I do it they have streaks all over. 

He said he cleaned them with water/vinegar solution first. After that he used windex with Chamios & microfiber cloth.

They are so clean. They were really dirty since we did not clean them earlier this year with all the heat & humidity.

He also cleaned the front door, storm door & back patio doors.