Respected Contributor

Re: Homes with open floor plans decor

We have a semi open floor plan.  I can't stand the open floor plans for many reasons.

I like a bit of privacy.

Respected Contributor

It's nice to have an overall color scheme throughout the joined areas, in my opinion. I do have a few accent walls that are subtle in my home. Get paint samples!  I have blown it with paint colors so many times. I like the website Samplize for paint samples. Have fun!

Valued Contributor

Our floor plan is open and we use blue, red and yellow with a French flavor to the rooms.  Most of the walls are white for a clean look in a smaller house.  In the kitchen/family room 3 of the walls are a soft butter yellow, the fourth wall extends into the living/dining room so it is white.  Living room sofa is blue, area rug dominant color is red and family room rug is blue.  The main bedroom features a blue wall behind the bed and the guest room has rosy red tones. 

Honored Contributor

We have an open floor plan and the rooms are neutral colors.

I use pillows and a few accessories to add interest for Holidays and Seasons.

I like things to flow so different colors for each room is out for me. I think keeping the colors neutral throughout the open area makes it look bigger, airy, and pleasing to the eye.JMO

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore    It sounds like the two rooms have some of the same colors except for the pink ane the blue.  All you can do is decorate your living room and hope the kitchen looks good with it.  Otherwise you may have to make changes.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

This is one reason I don't always care for an open concept kind of floor plan.

To me, it looks better for the wall color, flooring, and furniture styles/colors/patterns to be the same or very similar. It just 'feels' better in a more open concept.

I prefer a home with a more traditional/separate style of rooms, so I can do different things in different areas. 

That said, by doing your areas differently, it can seem more like a traditional layout and provide a variety that some of us need in home decor. 

I love variety in different rooms in my home. I also see people who do a very similar/sameness through out the home, and that is pleasing to me as well. 

I'd say give it some real thought, as to which way would be most pleasing to your eye, and satisfy your decorating desires!

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore  - If you could share some picts, I'd be able to offer better advice.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Kitty Galore    It sounds like the two rooms have some of the same colors except for the pink ane the blue.  All you can do is decorate your living room and hope the kitchen looks good with it.  Otherwise you may have to make changes.

@Katcat1  that's exactly right ,   Both rooms share the same main color scheme .  I'm just wanting to add some pink along with the blue accents .   Because of the dominance of blue I'm not sure how I can bring in some pink accents .    I wish I hadn't started with blue accents.      Area rug has blue in it ,  wall art , and other accents as well.  If I could just take out all blue I would ,.but unable to at this time.   I'll have to see what I can do and how it looks .   Thanks 😺

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

This is one reason I don't always care for an open concept kind of floor plan.

To me, it looks better for the wall color, flooring, and furniture styles/colors/patterns to be the same or very similar. It just 'feels' better in a more open concept.

I prefer a home with a more traditional/separate style of rooms, so I can do different things in different areas. 

That said, by doing your areas differently, it can seem more like a traditional layout and provide a variety that some of us need in home decor. 

I love variety in different rooms in my home. I also see people who do a very similar/sameness through out the home, and that is pleasing to me as well. 

I'd say give it some real thought, as to which way would be most pleasing to your eye, and satisfy your decorating desires!

@Mominohio  good advice ,   I am going to give considerable thought .   I may just skip any change right  now and re visit down the line .    😺

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Kitty Galore  - If you could share some picts, I'd be able to offer better advice.

@ThinkingOutLoud  Unfortunately I'm unable to do that ,  wish I could post pics would make it easier for those to give advive😺