Valued Contributor

Re: Homes with a septic tank...

I see a couple of you have mentioned yeast, are you talking about the kind you would use in the kitchen to bake  with like in a loaf of bread? That kind that you find in the baking isle at the grocery store?

Honored Contributor

I lived my entire life as a city girl, in the suburbs of Detroit. Moved  when we retired Up North to a place we tore down and rebuilt 6 years ago. First time septic here. I don't even notice a difference except I have to remind my dil's not to put their sanitary items down the toilet. I love living rural!!

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

Yes, use the regular yeast used for baking bread.  I use the packets but I believe you can buy it in a jar as well.  I don't flush the yeast down the toilet as often as the recommendation I found online that I posted earlier.  I have lived in the same house 35 years and have only had my septic tank pumped out twice.  I flush a couple packets of yeast about twice a year.

Super Contributor

Just make sure that you or your builder trust whoever is putting it in and then you shouldn't have any issues. We moved into our new home 28 years ago and I was skeptical about it too, but I barely notice any difference. Our town requires having it pumped out every 3 years and sends out a notice when it is due, so we don't even have to keep track of that. We do not use a garbage disposal or any Rid-X or anything with it and just use whatever tissue I happen to buy. We do have a water softener service for softer water. We think the water tastes great and there are no water fees paid to the city!!