Honored Contributor

Homeowner's Paintings Set The Stage For This Room

Honored Contributor

Re: Homeowner's Paintings Set The Stage For This Room

This room is bright and airy and everything I like.

I just don't get the fake fireplace..there is wood stacked up, a mantle, and wood covering the brick. I would have to remove the mantle and wood slats and just have a shelf on the brick for the paintings. I would place large green leafy plants on the brick base.

Honored Contributor

I like it, but not much space to get around the furniture. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Great room IF you ditch the ugly paintings, put in a ventless gas log REAL fireplace, and ditch the dumb looking bare bulb hanging from the ceiling.

It is a little long, narrow room and they are a beast to deal with--which I had to do in our first two houses!  My advice: avoid long narrow living rooms and dens.  They are a pain to buy furniture for and hard to live in! 

Honored Contributor

The art above the 'fireplace' hardly makes the room. In fact, I'd remove that wood covering the brick and let the brick stand on it's own, with perhaps one significant piece of art. Overall, not a bad looking room, but it would improve it to dump the light fixture and to remove what has become a totally predictable and, to me, largely unappealing wood and metal frame coffee table. I'd also add window coverings of some kind to soften the room and give it more of a finished look. They need not be anything elaborate and given the overall aesthetic, something minimal would work nicely.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I like everything except for the light fixture and the coffee table. The table is too big and the light fixture is just ugly.😲

Esteemed Contributor

Sheer or linen panels needed on the windows.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the homeowner actually did the art work, then I like that it is probably the main focus of the room.  I do watercolor and have a few pieces of my work hanging on my walls, but I am not at the point that I would design a room around them.  If someone has not done art, it is not as easy as you might think.

I like white sofas,but they need some more colorful pillows or throws.  The ones on the sofa need to be more vibrant as they look washed out to me.  The coffee table is too large and has too much stuff on it, the fake fireplace should be replaced with a real one or something else, and the chandelier does not go with the room.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of this room , nothing stands out for me in a positive way.

Honored Contributor

The mood is so upbeat!  Great place for morning coffee, or afternoon tea.