Respected Contributor
Our house is on the market now, it is a family home in a popular neighborhood due to its great location. Most home buyers in this neighborhood are 30 year old with children or planning to start a family. I mention this as we think it is the age range of the buyers might be the cause of our headaches.....
For people who haven't sold a home in a while -home showings are now booked via an app. Yes there's an app for that!
This app has lead to an interesting and highly frustrating problem, appointments to see our home often give less than an hour notice, 2 hours if we are lucky!
We are occupying our home while it's on the market so this is a HUGE pain.
Nothing better to be in the middle of dinner prep and get an alert that someone wants to drop by and see the house.

I don't even understand how the real estate agents are managing this schedule. To see her house you must be financially qualified so there is that.
Our RA does work with the buyers RA to always arrange a more suitable time explaining that we live in the house and need notice, so that starts the call/text/app juggle of trying to coordinate all parties.
I think because of the app buyers think everything is instant.
Rant over..... 😁
Honored Contributor

Did you discuss with your agent how much notice you need or want?   Your agent should be able to control the time from his end of the app

In my area, a full day’s notice is given for a showing 

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  If you home is in great shape, in a great location, in a popular area, I would let them know you need to have a longer advance notice.  If there aren't a lot of other homes available with the same features, they will wait.

To me less then 2 hours is not acceptable, you might need to pick up, and put things away before they arrive.  

I guess it really depends on how fast you need to sell your home.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Home selling rant/vent

[ Edited ]

Cats really let you know what they think when they are packed into the back of a SVU with their canned dinner and the dogs.  Not pretty.  

It is what you do for a sale.

Respected Contributor

I sold our house a few years ago. I prepackaged most of my decor to cut down on clutter, including family photos. It was a bit like camping in my own home. But when I moved to Alaska I was on the other end of the equation. As I looked for a place to buy I walked into many a place that I wondered if they dusted before showing. And then there were the merlot walls of a dining room. My DIL loved it, I just shuddered. As it was we had to paint over the walls and ceiling of a nursery with a smiling sun.

Honored Contributor

From my experience working real estate, I can tell you the agent wants to sell your house and from my own properties, I know how difficult it is to be the seller -  what I don't know is how the market in your area is working with your target buyers.  I hope you have a serious discussion with your agent who should be able to give you some specific information relative to the market you're in.

All real estate is local doesn't apply to just the property itself; you already know it applies to your target buyers, so you need to find out their habits.  I have no idea what they might be, but your frustration makes me think the app should be reworded unless your agent has convincing info to the contrary.

Honored Contributor

Sorry but be glad people are coming at all.  People have to look for houses when they can, which means when they are not at work.  Just remember, any potential buyer is a plus!  Smile and think "We'll be out of here soon!"

Respected Contributor

You can set up any time restrictions you want for showing your home, it's done all the time. A home for sale in my neighborhood is showing from 2-4 weekdays, no weekends.

Honored Contributor

I dread the thought of putting our house on the market. Thankfully we don't plan on moving. I can't imagine trying to show your house with such short notice.

But my Brother-in-law retired and decided to move late in 2018. My Husband helped to move furniture out and they really did a good job of throwing out 25 years of living in the house. He put his house on the market.

The first people that looked at the house, walked through. And offered the asking price.

Hope you have the same fortunate experience.

Esteemed Contributor

I would be very specific as to times that my home could be shown.  Meal times are out, as are early morning times.  Since everything about each house is already online and the prospective buyers have looked at all of the information, they already have an idea that your home is one that they are very interested in seeing personally.  They can do that at times that are convenient to both parties.  This is not like it was many years ago when the MLS was a thick book that came out every week or two and that was all the info available until visiting the property.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!