Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Honestly, the older I get, the more sensitive my sinuses get, and while I do use wax melts in an electric melter thingy (sorry to be so darn technical LOL), and occasionally light a candle, I prefer to just clean good, keep the cat boxes very clean (I have two cats, the boxes are in the basement and I clean them twice a day) and even in the cold weather, open the windows every so often to get fresh air in the house. 

Fragrances bother me more all the time.

In the summer our windows are open all the time, as we have no air conditioning, so I don't worry about the house getting too smelly or stale then. In the winter, mostly cooking certain things cause me to want to put some kind of fragrance in the air for a short time. 

I totally agree. I always open windows, especially bathroom after shower.  I clean toilet, kitchen garbage very, very often.

I use air diffusers in a light scent like linen or rain. They last months.

Enjoy coming into my house and smelling nothing.

Also have problem sinuses, headaches-chemicals bother me.

@IMW I have to ask, what brand of diffusers do you use? The ones I use, mostly Pier One, only last 2 - 3 weeks at most.

I, also use Pier 1, and those I find at Ama n. Don’t know why mine last longer- I put out cans of water on radiators to moisten air in apartment. Still have dry air in apartment. Maybe this effects absorption rate?

Honored Contributor

Currently I am burning a Slatkin spiced eggnog candle.

Honored Contributor

Re: Home scent??

[ Edited ]

I use  temporary bathroom deodorizers. I do not care for plug-ins. Sweet smells only, no floral type .

Honored Contributor

I love Home scents. However I am very picky aboutthe type of scents I use, and the brand. I tend to go more for Melts, and I prefer the ones from Cuyahoga or Nene's.....They have the best scents and they last without being too strong and overpowering.

For Candles, I like 100% Soy-less soot and they burn cleaner......I like Pure Integrity and Slatkin and a new company that I tried called Chesapeake Bay.

I think if you are looking for lighter scenting, try Home Diffusers(Pier One, Pottery Barn),etc...Plug Ins are strong at first but generaly die down after a day or two....You may have to experiment a bit to find what you like most!

Esteemed Contributor

I use Scentsy and I love those little bricks. My favorite are White tea and Cactus, I love those for the bathrooms. And the Pomegrenate for my bedroom.  

Honored Contributor

Fresh air and elbow grease. Nothing replaces a truly clean house and fresh air (even on the coldest days, certain windows are cracked).

Beyond that, the only scented candles I burn (there are exceptions, of course) are:

Diptyque's Feu de Bois and Fig.

Respected Contributor

My favorite home scent is something baking in the oven.

When I can't bake, I light a really good scented candle for just a couple of hours.

Honored Contributor

I like Bed, Bath and Beyonds wall flowers and use them alot; however---had one plugged in about 5 feet from where my cats cage is and after awhile, she got very sick with  high fever, not eating or drinking ; not much movement at all. Took her to the vet and she had a very high fever for cats, 105* that the vet couldn't figure out from what. She called it a fever of unknown origin. Came home and took the plug in out of the wall and after another day of that high fever and shots and pills----she snapped out of it. DD read how these plug in scents  can do alot of damage to our pets. Mine was a balsam scent, very strong, as it was during Xmas and I had no tree. So beware. Same goes with using these essense oils in any humidifing units too. Keep the pets away.

Honored Contributor

The only scent in my home is the soap & water used to clean it, and , when needed, a spray of Lysol in a BR. I prefer for my house to simply smell clean.

Respected Contributor

I use the Yankee Candle Scenterpiece.  It has a 3, 6 or 9 hour timer.  

I usually just set it for 3 hours.  The scent is not overwhelming, but it's just a nice smell.  My favorite is a citrus one and a cashmere one.  

The wax comes in a clear plastic cup.  So you can interchange them whenever you want.  

Around the holidays, I used a cinnamon one.  

I don't like strong smells or "hospital clean" smells.  I just like the house to smell fresh.