Frequent Contributor

Just started watching a couple of weeks ago and love it. 

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

I watched this last evening for the first time. They had fixed up a little cape cod cottage for an older lady. They did it very nicely and very inexpensively.

That woman was so happy with her home🙂

Esteemed Contributor

I do like this show.  Erin and Ben seem so genuine and down to earth.  Their designs are lovely and not over the top.  I do love how they restore and reuse items. The function and hominess of each restoration is so refreshing.

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

@151949wrote:

I watched this last evening for the first time. They had fixed up a little cape cod cottage for an older lady. They did it very nicely and very inexpensively.

That woman was so happy with her home🙂

Yes, she certainly was.He had made several items that were in that home - I assume to save money. They did it on a very tight budget.

Honored Contributor

I have been watching from the start as well...I like most things that they do.

I see they are expecting a baby!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Home Town - HGTV

[ Edited ]

I liked the premise of the show--renovating historic properties and turn of the century homes in a small town. I watched a few episodes when the show first started but to me it looked amateurish

On one house-she took a shower curtain liner and used it as a "curtain" on a pillared front porch ......and her husband made the cheapest looking shingles for the windows. 

On another home- they re-did the kitchen floor by putting  what looked like cheap very thin boards over existing floor and painted it in diagonal checks, it looked real amateurish and not very good at all.................

Some of the homes looked better before their renovations. 

That was enough for me....I never watched again....Maybe as time went on they got better..........Maybe Ill give them another chance.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been enjoying the show as well. I like her designs much better this year. I watched the first season last year and although the houses were cute,

the spaces that she designed were so cluttered with “stuff” that I could barely see each room. She’s toned it down a bit. That said, I prefer neutral colors so the bold colors seem a bit much for me. They’re a cute couple and enjoyable to watch. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure the things they do on these homes, color etc all have to be preapproved by the homeowners.Decorators wish they could just go in and do what they want but that is not reality. They have to run everything past the homeowners and get it approved - any changes after the initial design is approved must be added to the contract and initialed by the homeowner.

One of my very close friends was an interior decorator and I've been with her many times that we had to stop by someones house on our way to go somewhere because she needed a change initialed by the homeowner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949wrote:

I'm sure the things they do on these homes, color etc all have to be preapproved by the homeowners.Decorators wish they could just go in and do what they want but that is not reality. They have to run everything past the homeowners and get it approved - any changes after the initial design is approved must be added to the contract and initialed by the homeowner.

One of my very close friends was an interior decorator and I've been with her many times that we had to stop by someones house on our way to go somewhere because she needed a change initialed by the homeowner.

@151949

Your right about the renovations on the home itself --they have to be approved by the home owner, but the furniture and decor is not (its a little bit different from real life and hiring a interior decorator)....The same on Fixer Upper.............

Here's Erin on Instagram..........

• erinapierToday's insider info on #HGTVHomeTown: "Do they get to keep the furnishings?" The homeowners' budget usually does allow for lots of pieces they get to keep + the custom pieces @scotsman.co builds for each home and I like to use the homeowner's own furnishings and objects as much as possible. For what's left, we fill the houses with goods from all our favorite local shops around Laurel (tagged in the photo) and the homeowners get a catalogued binder of everything we use that shows the special price our shop owners offer if they would like to keep it. It's a kind of "welcome to the neighborhood!" from locals to these sweet new folks. Some may say my style is maximalist or cluttered, but I say it's real life. We all have STUFF, or at least I do--and those things are the pieces that comfort us on a stormy night (literally and figuratively) and welcome us home when we walk in the door.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTophmahjKq/?utm_source=ig_embed

And what Fixer Upper does in case someone was curious.....

You Don't Get to Keep the Furniture

The gorgeous Magnolia Market finds Joanna fills the house with are actually just there on loan to stage the house for the big reveal. While the furniture is not included in the makeover, the homeowners can buy any pieces they want to keep — but at that point the budget is usually pretty tapped.

https://www.popsugar.com/home/What-Really-Like-Cast-Fixer-Upper-40229676

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

That was an interesting post @Spurt.  I've always wondered about the furniture on Fixer Upper.  I assumed it wasn't included but wasn't sure exactly how that worked.  The homes look quite different with the homeowner's furnishings I would assume.  

I do hope the homeowner's get to keep the custom pieces made for them on Fixer Upper.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau