Honored Contributor

Re: Home Security System Recommendation

On 9/9/2014 JMFINLEY001 said:

We have ADT as well, and had the same problem as you and finally a representative came out and replaced our panel-it was the problem, it was very frustrating though....I do know that Time Warner Cable has a Security system, one of my friends and her husband signed up and they said it is excellent and it just goes on their monthly Cable Bill.......

Just a note of caution - Time Warner will be bought by Comcast by January. I don't know what their service is like with home alarms - but they have the LOWEST customer service rating of any cable company!

Super Contributor

I don't know anything about ADT. We have a small local company for our alarm service and are totally pleased. If we have issues (which we almost never have) I can call and talk to a live person who responds immediately to correct the problem.

Trusted Contributor

I had ADT for 10 years in Dallas area and never had a problem. I moved outside of a small town in Tennessee and stayed with ADT. I've had it here for almost 7 years and once again have never had a problem. After I converted my screened porch to a sunroom I had them come out and add some glass break monitoring and they arrived when they said they would.

The post isn't to say I don't believe what you are saying. It is to show that no matter what the company it seems, and it is always evident from the comments here, that there will be people who love the service and swear by a company and people who hate it.

I would definitely change if you are having issues. Some of the comments mentioned using a smaller local company. Be careful going that route though because sometimes smaller local security companies don't stay in business and, while you will still usually get monitoring since that service isn't done by the local folks, if something goes wrong with the equipment you are out of luck.

Honored Contributor

We are lucky. Our best friend owns a security system company. He and DH installed everything and I send his company a check every 3 months for monitoring. If anything goes wrong, I call the owner directly. LOL

Valued Contributor

ADT is the absolute worst. We switched to another company after a nightmare of NO CUSTOMER SERVICE when we were having problems. If I had a couple of hours I would tell you about it.

Super Contributor

Go with a local company. We did and are very happy while people we know who have "chain" security aren't. Our company sends someone out for a problem within 4 hours, day or night. We pay about 25 per month to have 4 doors and 13 windows armed with sensors. We have a panic button on each floor and the entire system is wireless. We know our local company including the owners and that's part of security too. There are too many staff changes with a "chain". And staff changes mean more people with your codes and information out there in the world.