Contributor

Home Protection Warranty Companies

Does anyone have/had a home protection warranty? What company did you use and were/are you happy with them. Have you filed any claims for repairs? How fast were they made and was their any hassle if something had to be replaced. I'm thinking about getting one because my heat pump and a couple of other items are getting older and I want to have some protection against a large repair bill. Everything is in good running condition but you never know. I'd also be adding my pool pump & accessories. Tell me what you think about your experiences. There's a lot of companies out there and I have read good and bad about them all so I'm going to ask here because I think I'll get an honest opinion.

Valued Contributor

Re: Home Protection Warranty Companies

I have had insurance under American Home Shield for the last 15 years and would be happy to share with you the good, the bad, and the ugly. Over the years AHS has replaced two full central heating and air units, 2 pool pumps, one clothes dryer, one refrigerator and one electric range. They have replaced 2 toilets and repaired a lot of plumbing issues. AHS costs about $600. a year, which includes swimming pool coverage. They have a "co-pay" fee of $75. a visit. If they have to come out again for the same repair issue within one month, there is no extra charge. They always have a repair company at your door within 24 hours. All of that is the good side. The down side is that they utilize repair companies that are not the best, so finding good workmanship is inconsistent. And they find it more cost effective to repair something until the bitter end rather than replace it. All that said, I would recommend getting this kind of insurance. When I think of the thousands it would have cost to replace all of the above, I realize that ultimately it is a bargain. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that if something major breaks, you are covered. Good Luck!

Super Contributor

I agree with furbaby. They will repair something til it's almost new before they replace. I have Old Republic though. It costs me about 400 a year, but I don't have a pool. My copay is 60, byt my daughter has the same warranty and her copay is 75. It may be due to the part if the country. With Old Republic, you can ask for certain service people so you know the repaur will be done correctly. I would not be without this coverage. It has more than paid for itself every year. Check your reviews for your area. You may find one warranty company has a better reputation than the other one.
Contributor

Thanks for the help. Those were two of the three I was looking at. I checked Angie's list but there was only one on there and their BBB reviews weren't good.

Super Contributor

Well neither of us have had any real trouble, but I have met people who have...with both companies. I belong to Angies list too, not sure what they say. Maybe you could ask a realtor or your home owners insurance company which they prefer. I know i would not change from Old Republic.... not after one of their service people came at 9:30 at night on the hottest day of the year in Phoenix. Granted it was the serviceman who fixed it, but it was the warranty company who called around to find someone at that time of night..
Super Contributor

A neighbor of mine had it. He said that some things he called about weren't covered (he thought they were), and that the coverage is ultimately very expensive for what you get. He's going to drop the policy this year, and simply use the premium money for any repairs that crop up.

Super Contributor

I have First American and it's $65 a visit. I would say pretty much what the other posters have said. They do switch repair companies a lot, my husband's theory is that they don't want you to have a chummy relationship with the repairmen and possibly talk them into replacing something instead of just fixing it. Believe me, we've tried, ha, ha, because our AC/heating unit is from 1964, it just never dies. We've gotten a new water heater, toilet, evaporative cooler and they paid for our new stove and fridge as they were very old. They won't pay for my washer or dryer repair anymore as a repairman mentioned they were outside and the appliances have to be within the house's foundation. I never knew that. All in all, warranties are a good thing to have. When we bought the house, it came with a 1 year warranty and we continued it. We'll do the same when we sell the house. Ours is $450 a year I believe.
Respected Contributor

First American Home Warranty is the best.

Deb